Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 8:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass?
How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass?
This is the $50 million question

If gravity only affects objects that have mass and photons are massless, why does light curve around a planet or get trapped in a black hole?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass?
Gravity does affect things with no mass in general relativity. it does so by curving spacetime, which affects anything, whether it has a mass or not.

Also, the converse is true. Anything with energy produces gravity, whether it has mass or not.
Gravity does not affect light directly, but it does bend the spce-time that the light is moving in
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(March 2, 2018 at 1:51 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Gravity does not affect light directly, but it does bend the spce-time that the light is moving in

In that sense, it doesn't affect *anything* directly. The reason planets orbit the sun is because of the curvature of spacetime the sun produces. It is that curvature that makes the planets move the way they do.
(March 2, 2018 at 1:46 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: This is the $50 million question

If gravity only affects objects that have mass and photons are massless, why does light curve around a planet or get trapped in a black hole?

Energy and mass are interchangeable directly, and for the purpose of gravity. Photons have energy, E=MC^2, hence photons have equivalent of mass.  

Think of it this way, by E=MC^2, all forms of energy have equivalent of mass, and therefore are both affected by gravity, and exert their own gravity.    If global warming heat the earth up, the gravity of the earth actually increase because the added kenetic energy of the molecules makes the earth slightly more massive.

If you annihilate a mass particle with its anti-partlcle, the mass of those two particles will convert into photons. If you somehow trap the photons so they don’t speed away, you will find the gravity well around the these photons remains exactly the same as before the annihilation.
General relativity: Mass warps spacetime. Photons travel in spacetime so to an outside observer they follow a warped path when passing an object with mass.

Special relativity: E=MC2. Photons have relative mass even if they don't have resting mass.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(March 2, 2018 at 1:57 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:

Photons have energy, E=MC^2, hence photons have equivalent of mass.  

Think of it this way, by E=MC^2, all forms of energy have equivalent of mass, and therefore are both affected by gravity, and exert their own gravity.    If global warming heat the earth up, the gravity of the earth actually increase because the added kenetic energy of the molecules makes the earth slightly more massive.

One aspect of this that is a bit strange is that massless particles, like the photon, actually move along a different path (a null path) than a massive particle of going very close to the speed of light would. The deflection of the light is *double* what would be expected from a naive equivalence between the mass and energy. that was actually one of the distinguishing experiments differentiating special and general relativity when applied to gravity.
(March 2, 2018 at 1:57 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:

Energy and mass are interchangeable directly, and for the purpose of gravity.   Photons have energy, E=MC^2, hence photons have equivalent of mass.  

If you annihilate a mass particle with its anti-partlcle, the mass of those two particles will convert into photons.  If you somehow trap the photons so they don’t speed away, you will find the gravity well around the these photons remains exactly the same as before the annihilation.

This explains a lot, with one nagging caveat. Photons mediate the electromagnetic field. While the mediator of the gravitational field has not yet been discovered. So we have mediators in two separate fields affecting one another. If photons create gravity, then the electromagnetic field is also the mediator for the gravitational field. Is it possible there is no gravitational field? Like heat, maybe gravity is just a property of matter or a property of spacetime when massive or energy particles come close.

(March 2, 2018 at 2:02 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: General relativity: Mass warps spacetime. Photons travel in spacetime so to an outside observer they follow a warped path when passing an object with mass.

Special relativity: E=MC2. Photons have relative mass even if they don't have resting mass.
And this explains why although photons existed before recombination, there was no matter and therefore no gravity to counter the dark energy pushing everything apart. only after things got so apart that they lost energy was the strong force able to bring quanta together to form atoms and then large bodies with measurable gravity.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Quote:Is it possible there is no gravitational field?
No, even within the context of your proposal you're simply wondering whether or not some other x might effect that grav field...there's a grav field in that proposition all the same.   Regardless of what gravity is a property of, gravity, then, would exist as a property of that x.

To demonstrate this in another context. We don't know whether or not there are gravitons, a hypothetical fundamental particle in qft that mediates the force of gravitation. We've never identified one. Suppose there aren't. There's still gravity, there are still grav fields.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 2, 2018 at 2:51 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: And this explains why although photons existed before recombination, there was no matter and therefore no gravity to counter the dark energy pushing everything apart. only after things got so apart that they lost energy was the strong force able to bring quanta together to form atoms and then large bodies with measurable gravity.

I don’t believe that is accurate for two reasons:

1.  Recombination refers to electrons pairing up with protons.  They existed separately as ionized plasma before.   So there were matter before recombination, just not electrically neutral matter.
2.  Even if there were not electrons and protons, If there were photons, there were gravity.  Gravity is an artifact of energy in all forms, not just in matter form.   If I am not mistaken, most of the gravity of normal matter is not from the rest mass of the particles with rest mass, but from binding energy that holds These particles together.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 558 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3141 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2640 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5932 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 808 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Defy Gravity! Haipule 43 5315 January 26, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  An Interesting thing About Light Rhondazvous 14 2369 October 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55130 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons? Rhondazvous 9 1781 August 3, 2017 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light? Rhondazvous 48 5914 December 14, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous