Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Einstein Say Light is Massive?
Did Einstein Say Light is Massive?
I’ve been laboring under the impression that photons are massless. But I’m now reading Einstein’s Universe by Nigel Calder in which he claims that Einstein said light is heavy
In some ways, it does seem that light must have mass. How could gravity bend light or trap light in a black hole if it had no mass? At the same time light doesn’t have the second property of matter. It doesn’t take up space. It wouldn’t be able to pass through solid objects such as glass, plastic. Or ice if it took up space. Only in intense concentration (laser) does light appear to take up space and move material objects out of its way.

So, are we making a difference between mass and matter? Between photons and light?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Did Einstein Say Light is Massive?
(July 7, 2019 at 4:01 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I’ve been laboring under the impression that photons are massless. But I’m now reading Einstein’s Universe by Nigel Calder in which he claims that Einstein said light is heavy
In some ways, it does seem that light must have mass. How could gravity bend light or trap light in a black hole if it had no mass? At the same time light doesn’t have the second property of matter. It doesn’t take up space. It wouldn’t be able to pass through solid objects such as glass, plastic. Or ice if it took up space. Only in intense concentration (laser) does light appear to take up space and  move material objects out of its way.

So, are we making a difference between mass and matter? Between photons and light?

Leave it to a man to come up with a "double slit" experiment. I remember Vanessa Williams in the Penthouse spread back in the 1980s. There is no "quadruple ball" experiment . Never heard that showing up in Playgirl.

^^^^^^ Translation..... "Beer".... "Coconut rum"..... Too much time on my hands.

In all seriousness. It still freaks me out to think that it is both particle and wave. Neutrinos also freak me out thinking about how small they are.
(July 7, 2019 at 4:01 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I’ve been laboring under the impression that photons are massless. But I’m now reading Einstein’s Universe by Nigel Calder in which he claims that Einstein said light is heavy
In some ways, it does seem that light must have mass. How could gravity bend light or trap light in a black hole if it had no mass? At the same time light doesn’t have the second property of matter. It doesn’t take up space. It wouldn’t be able to pass through solid objects such as glass, plastic. Or ice if it took up space. Only in intense concentration (laser) does light appear to take up space and  move material objects out of its way.

No, Einstein did NOT say that light is heavy. Even through the equation E=mc^2, it is not massive because the *correct* and most general equation is E^2 = m^2 c^4 +p^2 c^2 where p is the momentum. In the case of light, m=0 and E=pc.

Now, in general relativity *all* forms of energy contribute to the gravitational field, so mass is not directly required. Conversely, light *does* move along a different path than it could if it were massive (a null path--massive paricles do not travel along null paths).

Next, the classical ideas of matter have to be modified because of what we know about the atomic realm. The reason 'classical matter' takes up space is because of something known as the Pauli exclusion principle. It applies to any 'particle' with 'half-integer spin'. Such particles are also known as fermions. For example, electrons and protons are fermions.

But then, so are neutrinos, which pass through matter quite easily. To further complicate things, electrons are thought to be point particles: they technically do NOT take up space. But they do repel each other which forces them apart. This repulsion is partily due to the fact that they are fermions. This is why most ordinary matter 'takes up space'.

There are also particles called bosons that do NOT obey the Pauli exclusion principle. While fermions don't like to be together, bosons very much do. And guess what? Photons are bosons, not fermions. And yes, there are bosons which have mass. The Higg's boson actually has a mass about the same as an atom of Cesium.

The upshot? Classical ideas about mass and matter have to be modified considerably when faced with the realities of the atomic and subatomic realms. Things just don't work at that level based on classical mechanics.

It helps if you think of a photon as not so much a particle, but as a package of energy in the electromagnetic field as a whole (it's both, smart people tell me).  A packet of energy would necessarily have no mass, but energetic fields react to gravity.

I've probably worded this badly.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 7, 2019 at 4:54 pm)polymath257 Wrote:

No, Einstein did NOT say that light is heavy. Even through the equation E=mc^2, it is not massive because the *correct* and most general equation is E^2 = m^2 c^4 +p^2 c^2 where p is the momentum. In the case of light, m=0 and E=pc.

Now, in general relativity *all* forms of energy contribute to the gravitational field, so mass is not directly required. Conversely, light *does* move along a different path than it could if it were massive (a null path--massive paricles do not travel along null paths).

Next, the classical ideas of matter have to be modified because of what we know about the atomic realm. The reason 'classical matter' takes up space is because of something known as the Pauli exclusion principle. It applies to any 'particle' with 'half-integer spin'. Such particles are also known as fermions. For example, electrons and protons are fermions.

But then, so are neutrinos, which pass through matter quite easily. To further complicate things, electrons are thought to be point particles: they technically do NOT take up space. But they do repel each other which forces them apart. This repulsion is partily due to the fact that they are fermions. This is why most ordinary matter 'takes up space'.

There are also particles called bosons that do NOT obey the Pauli exclusion principle. While fermions don't like to be together, bosons very much do. And guess what? Photons are bosons, not fermions. And yes, there are bosons which have mass. The Higg's boson actually has a mass about the same as an atom of Cesium.

The upshot? Classical ideas about mass and matter have to be modified considerably when faced with the realities of the atomic and subatomic realms. Things just don't work at that level based on classical mechanics.

You couldn't leave the lesbian fantasy to a simpleton like me? You actually took the time to try to explain real science?

What is next, I actually have to learn to tie my shoes all by myself?
Sometimes there isn't enough Alex's. (Alexses?, Alexi?)

Don't think gravity and mass, think gravity and curved space.

Edit: No offense polymath, some of us just miss Alex.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 7, 2019 at 4:58 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

It helps if you think of a photon as not so much a particle, but as a package of energy in the electromagnetic field as a whole (it's both, smart people tell me).  A packet of energy would necessarily have no mass, but energetic fields react to gravity.

I've probably worded this badly.

Boru

I've been cracking jokes  in this thread as everyone  can see. But in all seriousness, that blur between particle and wave really does freak me out.

It is hard for laypeople to view particle and wave as fluid and not either/or.

It may be crude to think of it this way, but the melting villain from Terminator 2 might be a crude analogy.

But between particle and wave, that is the ultimate "Ford vs Chevy", "Cowboys vs Redskins" when the reality is "neither for or against" but both.

Light is propagation of energy in a medium whether seen or unseen. Whether aether or glass. An electromagnetic waveform, with rarefactions and compressions, up down left right, not a particle. With a rate of induction not a speed. The medium exists but light does not. The unseen medium is usually called "Dark Energy" or aether and it's everywhere. E = MC2 is stupid!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker. Well...she's not my girlfriend "yet".

I discovered a new vitamin that fights cancer. I call it ...B9

I also invented a diet pill. It works great but had to quit taking it because of the side effects. Turns out my penis is larger and my hair grew back. And whoa! If you think my hair is nice!

When does size truly matter? When it's TOO big!

I'm currently working on a new pill I call "Destenze". However...now my shoes don't fit.
(July 7, 2019 at 5:33 pm)Haipule Wrote:

Light is propagation of energy in a medium whether seen or unseen. Whether aether or glass. An electromagnetic waveform, with rarefactions and compressions, up down left right, not a particle. With a rate of induction not a speed. The medium exists but light does not. The unseen medium is usually called "Dark Energy" or aether and it's everywhere. E = MC2 is stupid!

We’ve been through this.   If you were born after 1880s you would have to be an uneducated ignoramus to sprout nonsense like this.    Are you an uneducated ignoramus or not?

If you are not, you should know not to say things like this.  If you are, you should know not to say anything.
(July 7, 2019 at 6:10 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(July 7, 2019 at 5:33 pm)Haipule Wrote: Light is propagation of energy in a medium whether seen or unseen. Whether aether or glass. An electromagnetic waveform, with rarefactions and compressions, up down left right, not a particle. With a rate of induction not a speed. The medium exists but light does not. The unseen medium is usually called "Dark Energy" or aether and it's everywhere. E = MC2 is stupid!

We’ve been through this.   If you were born after 1880s you would have to be an uneducated ignoramus to sprout nonsense like this.    Are you an uneducated ignoramus or not?

If you are not, you should know not to say things like this.  If you are, you should know not to say anything.

Wait! That is not fair. I have a lesbian fantasy of two double slits. Now, they cant be pro slit and wave at the same time, can they?

If they are also pro particle at the same time, then they should promote billiards. Balls lives matter too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ultra Massive Black Holes...... Brian37 55 7807 February 11, 2019 at 9:51 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2654 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Einstein is practical, but not theoretical? robinhood 20 2616 April 17, 2018 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Joods
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1883 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  An Interesting thing About Light Rhondazvous 14 2393 October 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55394 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  What Did Einstein Mean when He Said Space is Curved? Rhondazvous 33 11335 June 16, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light? Rhondazvous 48 6053 December 14, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  What to say when somebody asks about the big bang zak 111 10675 November 15, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Physics questions about light bennyboy 10 2551 September 20, 2016 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: bennyboy