Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
(August 9, 2017 at 10:58 am)Brian37 Wrote:
Quote:QUOTE rji4 Saying that you don't harm other people and that others think you shouldn't harm people, while being a good thing, does not explain what your basis is for determining right and wrong. Sure, other religions have their own basis and with them I would probably argue differently. But I am asking you what your basis is. If your answer is: "It is just what I think." or "It is the chemical reactions in my brain." then fine. Say it. If something else, I would be interested in hearing what.

EVOLUTION IS MY BASIS....for why species, not just humans, but other species as well seek cooperation.

No that does not prevent species from harming other species or humans harming other humans. IT IS STILL PART OF EVOLUTION.

Evolution is why humans do both. It is still up to humans how we choose to interact with each other. But there is no sky wizard vs a guy with a pitchfork battling over the neurons in our brains.

Just like you rightfully reject Allah or the Hindu creator God Brhama as being the cause of everything. I simply reject one more god than you do.

EVOLUTION is not merely what I personally think, it is SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN FACT. DNA proves evolution.

Evolution is fact just like gravity is fact. Now if you are going to argue that your pet deity started evolution you'd be stupid to think your religion is the only to claim they own a patent on science. 

We have seen the same "science is not true unless it agrees with my club" tactic from every religion, not just yours.

You still have two very important things to prove before we get to the first word in your book.

1. That even a god is necessary.
2. That it was your particular god who did it.

But please do not stupidly think Christians are the only ones who try to debunk science then when they cant get away with that, try to claim science points to their club. EVERY RELIGION IN THE WORLD has followers who do this, bar none.

So ultimately, again, you are stuck in the same boat as everyone else of other religions. GET IN LINE, TAKE A NUMBER.
So Evolution is the basis for everything? DNA proves evolution? I would love to see you try to articulate that position.

C'mon all you atheists here...the ones who are willing to critique an atheist here...Does DNA "prove" evolution (common descent)?

If evolution (and I assume you are talking "common descent" here as opposed to change...as I agree with the latter but not the former) is the basis for right and wrong, how do you explain it when people disagree as to what things are right and what things are wrong? One evolved to think one thing and one evolved to think another? If so, how is it reasonable to make value judgements at all? After all, if someone does something you think is "wrong"...it was their evolution that made them do it. For them it is "right" even if it is "wrong" for you. For that matter...why do you even bother to argue with me? After all, according to you, my position is just a result of my evolution and yours is the result of your evolution. If my evolution brings me to the position that God exists, how could I possibly be wrong? If your evolution brings you to the conclusion that God does not exists, how could you be wrong (at least following your logic)? But then that leads to us both being right about contradictory things. That violates the laws of logic (that I assume that we both agree should apply). Your position is not rational. If I made some mistake in my chain of logic...please let me know as clearly I made some assumptions about your position that only you can clarify if wrong..

You position...at least as articulated...is total nonsense.

(August 9, 2017 at 11:21 am)Brian37 Wrote: Said the guy who defends a book with claims of a 6 day earth, men magically popping out of dirt, women magically popping out of a man's rib, talking snakes, talking donkeys, talking bushes, magic babies with super powers and claims of humans surviving rigor mortis. 

I cannot dumb down my position any further than this. I hope this is as articulate enough for you.

1. That was then, this is now.
2. The writers back then had no fucking modern science. No way of knowing. To be fair, nobody of any religion worldwide had any clue back then.
3. We have much better tools than old myths.

If you cannot understand what I just typed, then the problem is you, not me. I cannot dumb it down any further for you.

All totally irrelevant to the question of value judgements (right and wrong) from an evolutionary point of view.

Try again.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth - by rjh4 is back - August 9, 2017 at 11:31 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 572 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25243 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 812 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 588 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4395 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1498 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3167 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2654 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7426 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1884 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257