Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
(August 10, 2017 at 2:12 pm)rjh4 is back Wrote:
(August 10, 2017 at 12:01 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Why is it you do not hold your god to this same standard? Why should I entertain your "hypothesis" for a moment when you cannot even show that your god did it once, much less repeat it?

Also, I'm wondering how much you know about the historical sciences. Repeatability is not a requirement of a science, necessarily. Do you deny geology? Well, earthquakes and tectonic drift aren't repeatable. By this logic you should deny it its due respect. Ditto with astronomy.

I do not try to prove God scientifically and said it could not be done. Nor am I responsible for demonstrating that God did what He said He did.

Relative to historical sciences, I certainly understand there is a distinction to be made between the practical use of science (computers, drugs, etc.) and historical sciences. And I realize that any differences we would have probably would fall into the historical sciences area. I also agree with you that repeatability is not necessarily a requirement and your example is a good point. Clearly those are cases where the size and vastness cannot be repeated in the lab. That being said, if someone says that life can come from non-life via naturalistic mechanisms, I think it is fair to say "Well then show me that your mechanism works as you say." or provide a good explanation as to why it would be impossible to do in a lab. Now I am not talking about needing stars to form certain chemicals. Start with the chemicals in the lab and show it works.

You seem to be so skeptical of everything non-science, but pretty accepting of anything science puts forth. Why not be just as skeptical of some scientist who says that they have come up with a possible mechanism for producing life from non-life, unless they show it can be done or come up with some appropriate excuse, e.g., like your astronomy/geology example?

Probably because the process, if it happened as hypothesized over a period longer than H. Sapiens has been around.

You don't know what I am and am not skeptical of, so I'd recommend you follow the advice you just gave Brian and quit pretending like you know me when in fact you don't.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth - by Thumpalumpacus - August 10, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 572 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25263 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 812 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 588 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4396 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1504 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3167 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2662 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7427 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1884 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257