Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
(August 11, 2017 at 2:59 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: You may not "be an answers in genesis" person but by your actions here you certainly behave and think like them.

Ok. I guess I will own up to that one.

Quote:I didn't say you worked with or for them but thanks for putting words in my mouth.

And I did not say you did. I was merely clarifying for your benefit.

Quote:What definitions?

Operational (Observational) Science: a systematic approach to understanding that uses observable, testable, repeatable, and falsifiable experimentation to understand how nature commonly behaves.

Historical (Origins) Science: interpreting evidence from past events based on a presupposed philosophical point of view.

Quote:As stated before my only presupposition is that magic/fantasy (god) does not exist in reality.

Very naive. Surely you presuppose more than that. Like: I can believe/trust the things I see. But I won't press the point.

Quote:I'm arguing that science can't be done with a presupposition of magic.

Sure it can. What about theists who deal regularly with operational science? And please don't be so stupid as to say there aren't any.

Quote:With a fantasy presupposition then any result/interpretation (positive or negative) can be given a fantasy explanation, either positive or negative. That is not science, that's a belief in magic. 

Science definition?: I'll accept the google response. Historical science?: I'll accept the rationalwiki definition that includes the studies of paleontology, archaeology, forensics and geology in the absence of magic or god. There are other fields of study that could be included as long as they don't contain magic.

So you define science to exclude all but naturalistic explanations. Fine. Good to know.

Quote:The science being reported on was not historical science. Only your presupposition makes it historical science for you.

Did you read the article on the lab that produce RNA spontaneously under conditions that scientists think might have been around in the distant past? Mr. Agenda provided it. It was not from a Christian but an atheist (If I am mischaracterizing your position, Mr. Agenda, let me know.) The scientists were evolutionists. So I must ask, why don't you consider it historical science? Your position on this has me baffled.

Quote:Again, if you need magic to feel comfortable and safe, fine, believe the fantasy delusion but don't expect me to.

I don't and I don't expect you to.

Quote:Something tells me that you have doubts about the fantasy or you wouldn't be here in the first place.

That something is giving you wrong information.

Quote:The time of god being a necessary psychological tool is over. Get used to it.

Get used to it? I am and I agree with you. God is not a psychological tool at all, let alone a necessary one.

Quote:Still waiting for you or the god fantasy to provide evidence of it's existence. Why do you think you and/or it keep dodging this question?

You already said your presupposition is that God does not exist. Therefore, no evidence of any kind would change your mind. It would be impossible. You would have to change your presuppositions first.

Quote:Also waiting for you to prove that Superman does not exist.

You want me to prove a negative? So it would be appropriate to ask you to prove God doesn't exists?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth - by rjh4 is back - August 11, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 572 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25245 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 812 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 588 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4395 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1498 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3167 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2654 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7427 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1884 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257