Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
(August 14, 2017 at 8:21 pm)rjh4 is back Wrote:
(August 14, 2017 at 7:02 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I'm really trying to wrap my head around this.  So far as we can tell, chemistry works like so;

-If substance a and substance b are subjected to condition c, then reaction d occurs.

most emphatically -not- like so;

-If substance a and substance b are subjected to condition c, then reaction d occurs...but only if sally is the one mixing them. If john, then reaction e.  If no one, then no reaction.

I am not trying to say that there are different reactions depending on who or what is doing the mixing. I'm saying even the simplest cell is really complicated. To reproduce, many specific materials and conditions must be met. It requires various proteins, DNA, RNA, certain cellular machinery made up of various materials.  Each of the proteins is made up of twenty amino acids that are only in the L form (not D). So the probabilities of the specific sequences needed is along the lines of 1/20 to the nth power where n is the length of the protein. The DNA and RNA are each made of specific sequences of 4 nucleotides or ribonucleotides. So the probabilities of the specific sequences needed is along the lines of 1/4 to the nth power where N is the length of the DNA and RNA respectively.  The lengths of DNA, RNA, and protein sequences are quite long so the denominator gets huge really quickly. Consequently, the probabilities of all those materials and conditions coming together via random mixing of the matter of the universe is extremely small even given billions of years.

So my objection would be a probabilistic one.

How many reactions are happening at once? Are you "computing" your odds serially or in parallel? How many molecules might have been reacting across the surface of the Earth?

If it were only one one molecule interacting with another, then you would sure have a point. But with trillions of molecules going at it, I'd think your numbers would change significantly.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth - by Thumpalumpacus - August 14, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 572 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25254 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 812 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 588 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4396 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1502 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3167 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2659 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7427 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1884 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257