Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer
RE: 10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer
I don't even think I'm a "biblical literalist"--whatever that means in this context, but this looks fun.

Quote:1. Can you make a moral judgment against rape or slavery using only scripture?

"Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Quote:2. Would you sacrifice your child if god asked you to?

Of course--or I hope I'd have the wisdom to do it if God had asked me to do it. My reasoning is that an omniscient and all-good being who is my creator would have morally sufficient reasons (i.e. good reasons) for asking me to sacrifice my child. To believe my moral intuition and reasoning is superior to the very ontology of moral intuition and reasoning would be foolish, to say the least. It'd be like sawing off the branch on which I'm standing.

Quote:3. Is it acceptable to cherry pick the bible and only follow the parts you agree with?

No, not unless you have very good reason to believe that the part in question is not of God.

Quote:4. How did animal X get from point Y to point Z after the great flood?

It may be the case that God, being an omnipotent being, helped Noah. Or perhaps He commanded His angels to help Noah.

Quote:5. How did carnivorous dinosaurs supposedly eat plants before the biblical fall of man, when their teeth and digestive systems were not equipped to process a vegetarian diet?

Where in the Bible does it say that food was a requirement for living? Before the fall, there was no death. If there was food then it was probably eaten for pure pleasure. Moreover, it would seem (or at least it's my interpretation) that the dinosaurs were before man.

Quote:6. Can god tell a lie?

No.

Quote:7. Is observable physical evidence more important and valid than what the bible claims to be true?

The Bible should be weighed using reason and evidence, so this question is malformed.

Quote:8. Is there any amount of evidence that would change your views?

If the body of Jesus was discovered. If it could be shown that God is logically incoherent. If it could be shown that God is not needed to explain why and how the universe(s) came into being (or why and how they exist if they're eternal).

Quote:9. What physical proof is there that your particular god even exists?

Past-eternal universe is logically incoherent and contemporary scientific evidence points to a past-finite universe. The idea of nonbeing producing being is logically incoherent and there's no scientific evidence of it ever happening.

Quote:10. Do you believe hell is a justifiable punishment for a simple lack of belief?

What matters is what the origin of justice and love thinks, not a creation of that justice and love. Why would you ask a creation if something like Hell is justifiable? You're basically saying that the God of the universe, an omnipotent, omniscient, and all-good being doesn't know what a justifiable punishment is for not believing in Him. If He doesn't know then who does? So whatever punishment there is, if it's truly being given out by the creator of the universe, then what can I or you say? Finally, I define Hell as eternal separation from God, the origin of love, reason, mathematics, science, the universe, etc.

(June 30, 2017 at 2:30 am)Tizheruk Wrote: Of course there going to counter by blathering on about god having to respect freewill and some bullocks. A god who can't interfere with freewill for the good of the cosmos. And would choose freewill even if it meant the needless suffering of billions is a beast .Hell a group of coast guards rescuing a suicide against his freewill can brag to be more moral. If god cannot defy his nature and is compelled to only act a certain way then he's a weak god indeed.

Now this is interesting. You're essentially saying that if God did exist, you wouldn't like Him.

That's why Hell exists. Hell is eternal separation from God and it's a quarantine for people who freely reject Him.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer - by ManofYesterday - June 30, 2017 at 11:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33213 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 32753 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13655 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Creationists don't realize the biblical Creation is just jewish mythology? android17ak47 65 8409 July 27, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  God is not the answer Foxaèr 47 5148 October 31, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 7931 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  When does biblical history begin ? possibletarian 59 22510 November 24, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Why as an Atheist I Cannot Sin Rhondazvous 35 8009 September 17, 2017 at 7:42 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Our theists of all labels please answer.... Brian37 92 12247 April 25, 2017 at 11:33 am
  The Biblical Account of the Creation - A new look RonaldMcRaygun 10 2985 March 31, 2017 at 5:47 pm