Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why as an Atheist I Cannot Sin
Why as an Atheist I Cannot Sin
A christian can sew seeds to the flesh all week then go to church on Sunday and pray for a crop failure. I can't do that.

I have to be able to look myself in the mirror and be honest about the person I'm looking at. I have to be able to sleep with myself at night.

To go back to church now and "rest in god's forgiveness" would be like tasting the red pill and trying to go back to the blue pill. Like tasting reality and trying to go back to the illusion.

Hold onto your illusion if that's what you need to do, but I'm unwilling to go through the effort it would take to psyche myself out that way.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Why as an Atheist I Cannot Sin
Yeah... I think apes will sin no matter what. It's human to make mistakes. All we ask is to take responsibility for your actions. Not to go to church, ask for forgiveness and go out the following week and do the same! That's why the jails are 80% full of Christians. As we know God doesn't do diddley squat to help either way.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Define "sin".

You probably could do something against your morals. The wonderful part is that you don't based on your own conscience and not something that's imposed upon you by religion.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Sin is usually taken to mean a transgression against the biblegod. All those "thou shalt nots" are pronouncements about thoughts and actions that "the lord" deems abominable, not a system for assessing morality. If a god truly wanted to eliminate sin, it would eliminate itself from the equation. No more god to sin against - no more sin. That or announce that it's reconsidered the whole sin thing; and actually, working on the sabbath or making graven images aren't so bad after all. But of course the church needs the guilt card in its hand, or it has no power.

It's essentially the same reason why I, as an Englishman, am unable to commit the crime of blasphemy - because the concept of its being a crime has been removed from our statute books. Sure, others can object all they want about my giving their pet god the bird, but I cannot be touched for it.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 10, 2017 at 7:39 am)Cyberman Wrote: Sin is usually taken to mean a transgression against the biblegod. All those "thou shalt nots" are pronouncements about thoughts and actions that "the lord" deems abominable, not a system for assessing morality. If a god truly wanted to eliminate sin, it would eliminate itself from the equation. No more god to sin against - no more sin. That or announce that it's reconsidered the whole sin thing; and actually, working on the sabbath or making graven images aren't so bad after all. But of course the church needs the guilt card in its hand, or it has no power.

It's essentially the same reason why I, as an Englishman, am unable to commit the crime of blasphemy - because the concept of its being a crime has been removed from our statute books. Sure, others can object all they want about my giving their pet god the bird, but I cannot be touched for it.

Ok., suppose that.........No more god to sin against - no more sin...........then no karma no later punishment if we do commit a crime except if we are unlucky to be caught by the cops.

I guess it would be even better if there are no cops either so we can escape any punishment altogether isn't it ?

Gee, I never thought about it Cyb!  Bird

(color mine)
Edit: DP

(September 10, 2017 at 9:11 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(September 10, 2017 at 7:39 am)Cyberman Wrote: Sin is usually taken to mean a transgression against the biblegod. All those "thou shalt nots" are pronouncements about thoughts and actions that "the lord" deems abominable, not a system for assessing morality. If a god truly wanted to eliminate sin, it would eliminate itself from the equation. No more god to sin against - no more sin. That or announce that it's reconsidered the whole sin thing; and actually, working on the sabbath or making graven images aren't so bad after all. But of course the church needs the guilt card in its hand, or it has no power.

Ok., suppose that.........No more god to sin against - no more sin...........then no karma no later punishment if we do commit a crime except if we are unlucky to be caught by the cops.

I guess it would be even better if there are no cops either so we can escape any punishment altogether isn't it ?

(color mine)

You thought about it long enough to deliberately misrepresent everything he said!
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(September 10, 2017 at 9:19 am)Succubus Wrote: Edit: DP

(September 10, 2017 at 9:11 am)Little Rik Wrote: Ok., suppose that.........No more god to sin against - no more sin...........then no karma no later punishment if we do commit a crime except if we are unlucky to be caught by the cops.

(color mine)

You thought about it long enough to deliberately misrepresent everything he said!

Not at all Succu.

It is true that .......the church needs the guilt card in its hand, or it has no power......as Cyb say but why related religion with what God may or may not have said?
Why don't atheists stop relating what religions say with what God may have said?

There is no evidence that religions are the word of God so why don't you leave God alone and only judge what religions say?  Lightbulb
(September 10, 2017 at 1:25 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: A christian can sew seeds to the flesh all week then go to church on Sunday and pray for a crop failure. I can't do that.

I have to be able to look myself in the mirror and be honest about the person I'm looking at. I have to be able to sleep with myself at night.

To go back to church now and "rest in god's forgiveness" would be like tasting the red pill and trying to go back to the blue pill. Like tasting reality and trying to go back to the illusion.

Hold onto your illusion if that's what you need to do, but I'm unwilling to go through the effort it would take to psyche myself out that way.

You can't sin because you were born saved. Hence you needn't be born again. Big Grin
Any god who does consider what we do 'sin' has a lot of fucking nerve when they've got billions of years of blood and fuckuppery on their hands. Its sins are infinitely worse than our collective ones, by far.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(September 10, 2017 at 9:49 am)Little Rik Wrote: It is true that .......the church needs the guilt card in its hand, or it has no power......as Cyb say but why related religion with what God may or may not have said?
Why don't atheists stop relating what religions say with what God may have said?

There is no evidence that religions are the word of God so why don't you leave God alone and only judge what religions say?  Lightbulb

Because the only - repeat, the only - account of what "God" is supposed to have said comes from religion; the fan club, not the source itself. That is consistently silent on this or any other matter.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 32826 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 952 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 32544 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13280 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 7834 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  Homosexuality no longer a sin Foxaèr 155 19661 June 20, 2018 at 5:34 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Did Jesus ever sin? ignoramus 59 11943 May 3, 2018 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  There Is No Sin! chimp3 236 33633 April 21, 2018 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer Foxaèr 431 125668 August 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Adam's Sin -- Independence and Revellion InteresedUser 24 8350 May 27, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: chimp3