Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(June 24, 2017 at 9:45 am)Little Henry Wrote:
Under atheism, there is no right or wrong morally.
What a silly thing to say.  Atheism doesn't comment on morality, it's not a moral position at all.  I don't believe in god.  Right and wrong have nothing to do with god...and I'm capable of distinguishing between the two just like pretty much everyone on earth.

Quote:I do things for survival, but that doesnt make it right or wrong. If North Korea detonated a nuclear bomb that maximised sufferring and  killed of the human species, have they done something wrong? In the absence of OM, then no. They may have done something undesirable, but not wrong.
A person can freely comment on the "wrongness" of that act from either objective -or- subjective morality, and we do.  

Quote:Ok, so if me and my friends raped a young girl, with all of us trying to get her pregnant so we can pass our genes, we havent done anything wrong, just like the ducks according to you, is this correct?
There's very little about anything you've written, at all, that's correct.  Like I said before..if you have to ask, you're no more a moral agent than the duck is.  

Quote:Not under Christianity.
It doesn't matter what fairies you believe in, or even if there are fairies.  You're still an animal, still an ape.  Christian belief, despite what many christers think, does not alter reality.

Quote:If OM doesnt exist, then it is neither right or wrong. Just an adaptation like hands and feet that makes it beneficial for survival, but not right or wrong.

I understand that someone told you that, but that person probably doesn't respect you, or the subject of morality very much.  They lied to you, and now you're here repeating that lie to us.  What;s the moral status on that?  As people have told you, if their subjective opinion that something is wrong, is subjective..it;s styill their subjective opinion that said something is wrong.  You think it;s wrong, I think it;s wrong, they think it;s wrong.  It's a fact that they are relating to you, and they have their reasons for it..but ultimately, if you don;t agree with those reasons....they can understand why you wouldn't think it was wrong.  

Quote:So if i came to your house and killed you to claim your house, have i done anything wrong? If yes, why is it wrong for me but not for apes in the wild when they kill each other? 
OFC.  Why don't you just go buy your own house, like a moral person?  We don't generally consider the moral culpabiulity of gorillas..and if we decided that one gorilla did something immoral for having killed another gorilla..we probably wouldn;t waste our time locking them up.  This is just silly.

Quote:Why the difference in answer IF we are also just apes?
Not all apes are the same, numbskull. Case in point..can you identify some difference between yourself and a gorilla? I';m asking you,...because I'm starting to wonder if there is any.

Quote:Of course it does. When you say reason, it means you are coming to a truth, otherwise how can you call it reason?
No, it doesn't.  The existence of truth does not imply that there is any truth to your moral ramblings, for example.  You;re butchering whatever it was you thought was so brilliant.  Why don't you just link the resource?

Quote:Right/wrong ONLY exist in relation to facts. They dont exist in relation to non facts.
It is a fact that the earth rotates around the sun. If i said the sun rotates around the earth, then i am wrong. I am only wrong because the statement was in relation to a fact.
You're just getting sloppy, now.  To say that something is morally wrong and to say that something is factually wrong are not at all the same.  If you would like to do this right, you're going to need to point to some moral fact of the matter to refer to, but in the meantime I'll accept your subjective moral assessment of whatever it is you think is right or wrong.

Quote:If i said chocolate cake tastes better than carrot cake, i am neither right or wrong because it is not a fact that chocolate cake tastes better than carrot cake.
Nope, you're right about that, chocolate -does- taste better than carrot cake.  What's the problem?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2017 at 10:21 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6436 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5573 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81370 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36963 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5226 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22147 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet