Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(June 25, 2017 at 11:03 pm)Astonished Wrote: There IS no objective secular morality.
A great many secular moral objectivist theorists would be astonished to be so informed.

Quote:That's a paradox.
Why?  What is paradoxical about a secular objective morality, precisely?  

Quote:You expect that kind of thing out of a theist proponent, but attaching it to any sort of secular humanist philosophy, it's just...blech. There's no way to say 'X action is always across time and regardless of who perpetrates it, bad/good morally'.
That is -not- an objective morality.  That is moral absolutism.

Quote:Objective principles can be established as the framework for good or bad, yes, but not actions across the board. If your principle isn't well-being, but getting god's dick hard or soft for example, your actions are going to be different in terms of whether they're morally good or bad, aren't they?
Why would a secular objective morality's metrics be getting a gods dick hard or soft?  Why, for that matter, would a religious morality's metrics be the relative firmness of the divine schlong?  Couldn;t thewy..too, refer to well-being?  I mean, I'm pretty sure that they do, that they are...even if they get it wrong alot.  Let;s say that some religious moralitys metric -is- the length of the grand johnson. Why, isn;t it generally the notion that if you don;t stroke the peen bad things™ will happen to you or your loved ones, etc? That there will be harm?

Quote:So if you've got your standard, you evaluate your actions and those are subjectively good or bad depending on circumstance.
...............?  If you've got a standard, and you've got objective facts relevant to that standard...in what way is the judgement subjective?

Quote:Morality is about actions and their consequences but because the principle can change depending on your viewpoint, it's better to ground it in something that can be determined empirically. Even then, science can reveal new information and potentially yield something that would merit changing the foundation and principle. It's in flux based on what we learn and as we improve our understanding.
In flux with what we can objectively demonstrate..you mean?  I agree.  

Quote:Let's also not forget that people are subjective creatures. What I consider good for my well-being might differ from what you think, but if I have a certain goal in mind, there may be a trade-off that has to be made for some benefit in the long run that just can't be seen or which I value more than you happen to (like owning a very expensive car despite it putting a big dent in my savings that could be better spent elsewhere or something. Or I just may prefer a certain approach to things like how I get bad news delivered or if I prefer to have someone be bluntly honest with me even if it hurts my feelings as opposed to preferring to be handled gingerly. Those are subjective principles, where a higher priority is placed on honesty in one case than another, but honesty itself is still part of the overall principle.
I think you use the term subjective as sloppily as you use the term objective...but I agree.  We are subjective creatures.  That doesn't actually pose an issue for an objective morality - though it implies that in some ways our access to it would be limited.  

Quote:So there's no objective 'good' or 'bad' actions, and even the principles are in flux even if there's a certain goal in mind and there are simplistic definitions to it. 'Life and health - good' and 'Death and suffering - bad' is all well and good if you want to label those as objective but there's gradients and what work for some don't work for others in all cases. All we can do is our best, and negotiate, honor the social contract we believe will best benefit us according to what we value, and take care to learn and evolve. Objective standards don't leave room for any of that. That's just asking to kowtow to an authoritarian dictator, and as I pointed out, not even that gets you anywhere with objective standards.
Yes, all we can do is our best.  It; hard to tell what our best is without some sort of standard..and it;s hard to judge progress towards that goal without objective metrics.  I till don;t see...anywhere, that you've managed to prove that there are no objective moral propositions.   You just keep repeating that they're subjective in a way that suggests you may not have a firm grasp on the subject of objective moral theory.  

Let's try an experiment, shall we?  Is rape bad? Why?  Is it bad..because I say it's bad?  Is it bad, only because it is my opinion that it is bad...and were I to hold another opinion..it would not be bad?  In fact, can anyone or anything make rape bad not bad, by simply being of the opinion that it's bad or not bad?  Does something about rape change...based on the opinions of people?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by The Grand Nudger - June 25, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6430 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8899 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5567 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81366 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36961 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5221 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22137 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet