Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(June 25, 2017 at 11:34 pm)Astonished Wrote: I'm getting a little sick of this. I honestly wasn't even initially responding to you, I was bitching out Henry and you just kind of stuck your head in. That secular humanist morality isn't based on an appeal to authority unlike religious 'morality' makes calling it objective a paradox. I would have thought that was obvious.
It's obviously absurd.  Why would an objective moral schema appeal to an authority, or, more accurately, why would it appeal to anything other than authoritative facts?  

Quote:Objective means it can be determined to produce X result consistently whether we like it or not. If that result (consequences) changes (because we live in the real world), it's not objective (nor absolute, but that one is so obvious it's not even worth bringing up). Throwing my fist forward with all my strength is not always going to produce the same result or have the same consequences. It's purely situational, and even then, time and circumstance can change the results and corresponding consequences.
No, that's not what it means for a morality to be objective.  In an objective morality..sometimes, stabbing someone can be a "good" or at least a "not bad"...based on the objectively verifiable facts of any given situation.  In an objective morality, for example.  Stabbing me in the neck is likely bad. Stabbing me in the neck in defense of yourself is likely neutral (or, if you prefer, bad balanced by a competing moral imperative) and stabbing me in the neck so that I might breath and live, is good.  In each case, I was stabbed in the neck, but because the specifics of each stabbing were variable, the moral conclusions regarding each changes in direct reference to those objective facts about the stabbing which change.

Quote:'A great many secular moralists would disagree', way to appeal to authority. If it's true, it's true, whether the majority agree or not. Even if you're right, you're committing a fallacy.
Why on earth would you think that was an appeal to authority?  I didn't claim that a single one of them was right because they had a PHD at the end of their names, I merely pointed out that secular objective moral theorists do...indeed, exist.  The moral schemas they propose are secular, objective moral schemas.  You don;t have to agree with them, obviously...but moral objectivity doesn't depend on your agreement any more than the existence of secular moral schemas and theorists depends on your agreement.

Quote:I'm just about done with this inane conversation but even rape is subjective, and here's how: Cows need to be impregnated to produce milk. Cows can't exactly give consent to sex, so...we force them to breed, which you could call rape.
I've never seen a cow that has to be forced to breed...in my life.  I'm sure there are a few, I wouldn't know what to do in that situation.  I'd probably shoot it, lol?

Quote:But we get milk and that makes us happy, and if you stop there without going into painful milking procedures and whatnot, there's a good and bad consideration there where it could be argued that the cows don't really understand what's happening and we derive great pleasure from drinking or cooking with milk.
Why would the latter, our pleasure in drinking milk..be relevant at all if the cows do not understand or are not harmed by being bred or milked?  Suppose they were harmed by being bred or milked.  Then what?  It's bad that we breed them?  Okay.  We often do things we consider to be bad.  This would still be true under an objective moral schema.  

Quote:Or if you insist on using humans only (see how even well-being is subjective? We have to decide if it only applies to humans, or to what degree it applies to everything else) then let's say it's an apocalyptic era and the human population is drastically reduced. We need babies. The surviving women aren't really interested in the male stock available. In the interest of the species, an argument could at least be made. Reprehensible as this would be in 99.999999999% of situations, there's that small exception that makes things debatable.
No, actually, I still don't see how well being is subjective..I can see that many people express subjective opinions -on wellbeing, but there seems to be a way to winnow down the list of opinions that are and aren't factual. I'm pretty sure that a human morality would necessarily have to refer to human beings...but objective metrics can be made (and are made) to include other animals as well.  We could argue, for example, that cruel procedures..those that cause undue suffering to the livestock, are ethically compromised.  We do argue that.  We even write it into law.  There are standards regarding the equipment that a diary producer can use.  There are further trade organizations and niche licensers which put even stricter restrictions on what they consider ethical, or morally responsible farming of all kinds.  

Is that not based upon something identifiably objective?  It's harm..again, too, isn't it?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by The Grand Nudger - June 25, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6440 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5575 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81405 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36963 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5229 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22151 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet