Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
(July 12, 2017 at 4:32 pm)SteveII Wrote: For ease of reference, I will number my points:

1. God's moral nature (characteristics) is an objective moral standard because it always existed, is unchanging, and each attribute is perfect. 
None of which matters, not it's having always existed, not it's being unchanging, and not it's perfection.....unless they are -moral- characteristics in the first place. Even then, it simply shows us that god's nature would conform to whatever standard of goodness to which you were referring. Gee, I wonder, what might that standard be.....lol.

Quote:In other words, there could be no loving nature greater than God's, no merciful nature greater than God's, no greater justice than God's, etc. 
Why is love good?  Why is mercy good?  Why is justice good?

Quote:2. God cannot make decisions or command anything contrary to his nature, so all of God's decisions and commands are moral.  
No, that simply makes gods commands happily correlated with whatever "the good" is, god himself, described thusly..is not a moral agent. It has no moral ability whatsoever, it simply is what it is and cannot be otherwise. The tree that gives us shade. Except, ofc, when they aren't good...and I know, I know, you'll trip over your own dick from now to the end of days to argue that they were, in the end, part of "a greater good"...but the simple fact that an argument is required shows that no, gods commands, in and of themselves...are -not- always moral. With this tiny bit of nonsense..you've removed both gods moral agency and gods moral competency. Good job.

Quote:3. God's commands are the source of our moral values and duties (two different things). 
Hit the breaks, lol.  You're mixing up divine command with objective moral foundations?  Do we have a moral duty to do what god asks, when what god asks is evil?  Say, the rape and pillage of a town - and the snatching up of little girls for sex trafficking?  How about genocide?  

Quote:Notice the moral hierarchy: God's Nature --> God's Commands --> Our values and duties. This is an important distinction that most people are just skipping over.
I see no importance at all.  Gods nature doesn't seem to be the starting point of the heirarchy even as -you- describe it, you simply refuse to discuss whatever you've used to make such a determination.  

Gods commands are morally...spotty, shall we say..at least according to magic book (feel free to correct the hate-ball at any time?).

Lastly, -my- objective moral values and duties have absolutely nothing to do with your god. Mine have to do with whatever objective standard is used to claim love, mercy, and justice -as- moral facts of a matter.

The silly shit you describe and call a god is a stranger to each and every one, in any case, and so will forever remain a stranger to me. This capricious and arbitrary thing that you've decided to worship fails to explain morality at the outset, and does nothing to establish an objective framework -for- morality even if we assumed it that it existed. Is this thread about ghosts, or objective morality?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by The Grand Nudger - July 12, 2017 at 5:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6439 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5575 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81373 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36963 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5228 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22150 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet