Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective morality as a proper basic belief
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief
In a sense, you could say that. Though no position is free - even a subjective moral schema locks a person in on grounds of consistency. It' alot easier, for sure, to ground ones morality in a subjective framework, but that ease comes at the cost of being able to claim moral knowledge.   Moral facts of a matter.

There's really no arguing against a subjective morality being a sufficient morality on grounds of it being subjective.  As I've commented on previously, there's no practical difference between two correlative moral systems - one subjective and the other objective.  The only necessary difference between the two is that one is, meaningfully, "just, like, an opinion, man".

I don;t think that people who propose subjective moral foundations (or who claim that morality is fundamentally subjective) act as if they believe that to be the case. I doubt that you'll find a single person here who thinks that the immorallity of rape is just an opinion, for example. So I guess that could be another cost. The disparity between proposition and action. I chalk that up, primarily, to a sloppy use of terms (or a lack of understanding) combined with centuries of moral bullshittery - but that's just me. If more people understood that objective morality was available and accessible in a secular framework I suspect we'd find fewer people arguing against it. Yet another sad consequence of religion and it's failures. So wrong and fucked up about something that it gets shit on by association. If the only people in the room waxing on about an objective morality were Steve and RR (or worse....the OP - RIP), I too...would conclude that it didn't exist.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Objective morality as a proper basic belief - by The Grand Nudger - July 18, 2017 at 11:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Possibly Proper Death Litany, aka ... Gawdzilla Sama 11 845 December 18, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Morality Kingpin 101 5772 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6342 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6440 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8900 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5575 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 81404 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Morality Agnostico 337 36963 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5228 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22151 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet