Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 8:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god?
RE: Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god?
(July 12, 2017 at 11:28 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote:
(July 6, 2017 at 9:22 am)Aliza Wrote: I don't think I can prove it. The best I think I can do is demonstrate that you don't fit the description of the Jewish G-d, but even then, we'd both have to agree that the description of G-d comes from Jewish sources.

What's G-d? did you mean God more correctly FSM?
 Are you afraid to type it? if so why?

FSM Grin
Afraid of typing "God"? No, I'm afraid of cancer, getting hit by a drunk driver, and the Superman roller coaster at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. I can't imagine being afraid of typing out any word.  
I type it with the dash mostly out of habit, because that's how my people in my culture do it. And to answer your other question, no, I was not referring to FSM. I suppose if I was, I'd have typed "FSM," or "The Noodly deity of the Pastafarians." G-d typed with a dash is, as far as I know, exclusively used by Jews to refer to the deity of the Hebrew Bible.

(July 12, 2017 at 11:34 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(July 12, 2017 at 4:05 am)Godscreated Wrote:  Descended, really. As for the rest of your statement it is not logical.

GC

Play however you want everyone else does some very nice others nice and most not so nice. Aggressive surely not, well maybe but why not.

GC

Yes, I wrote "descended" instead of "ascended".  A simple error does not take away from the rest of my statement.

Descended is correct because last time I checked, Jesus was a Jew, practicing Judaism. And where does the Hebrew bible (the one Jesus was reading) say that souls go when they die? Do they fly up into the air, or do they descend into a pit?

Pulled from: http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/...tradition/

"There are, however, several biblical references to a place called Sheol. It is described as a region “dark and deep,” “the Pit,” and “the Land of Forgetfulness,” where human beings descend after death. The suggestion is that in the netherworld of Sheol, the deceased, although cut off from God and humankind, live on in some shadowy state of existence.

While this vision of Sheol is rather bleak (setting precedents for later Jewish and Christian ideas of an underground hell) there is generally no concept of judgment or reward and punishment attached to it. In fact, the more pessimistic books of the Bible, such as Ecclesiastes and Job, insist that all of the dead go down to Sheol, whether good or evil, rich or poor, slave or free man ()."

Valkyrie seems to have stumbled on the correct verb from a biblical standpoint to describe the direction the soul travels after death. Ascend is incorrect and doesn't appear until the Roman pagans introduced it to their Jewish-Pagan blended religion, Christianity.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? - by Aliza - July 13, 2017 at 12:30 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 9061 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33280 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2731 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1586 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 25048 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 5252 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2369 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17313 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3557 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13829 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger