Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 4:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself
RE: Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself
(August 24, 2017 at 12:11 pm)budsa11 Wrote: i'm wondering if you can help me im an atheist but am struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself it goes something like this.....

If you see an ant crawling across the ground, to the ant, you are his god that could wipe him out at time, he has no intelligence of you or that you exist, for the ant he is as intelligent as he is going to get, and can't even comprehend we exist.

So could we be in the same position as the ant? as far as we can see humans right now are as intelligent as we can get, but growing up we do not have the intelligence capacity to comprehend our surrounding. As children, take a 1 year old or any age under 3-4 we are also at that point, (The same as the ant) as intelligent at THAT time as we are going to get and cannot comprehend to world around us intelligently.

So just the same as the ant, adults at our height point of intelligence, to the toddler we are the Gods. What if we, right NOW are at this point in time, at our current level of intelligence are in the same position as the Ant and Toddler? Could there be an unknown Force, Entity, that just the same as we are unknown to the ant and the toddler to his or her world, that is looking at us as we look at the ant?

As its happening right now to the ant and toddler, this is proof it can, and is happening, It doesn't seem that extraordinary somthing is looknig at us in the same way,

Would love to hear what you think,

Thanks

The ant ~ "Human-God" analogy is a bit weak, as some other posters have noted. We don't know how ants perceive us and the world. Someone has already said that ants can have physical contact with you, and bite you etc. It is likely that they can see you, (albeit as a giant 'something').

Many gods have been proposed and worshipped over the millennia. If you happened to be a Christian, or a Muslim, or a religious Jew, you would reject all but one of those gods as being fictitious. You'd only accept your own god, and probably only your own version, of the generic version, of your preferred god. The question is: "HOW can the monotheistic religious person reject the other gods?" When asked, I find that their response tends to be something like: "Because there is no evidence for them"; (ironic !!!)

As an agnostic atheist, a good question to ask oneself, is: "Do I want to be an intellectually honest, truth-seeking individual?" I would hope that everyone would answer 'YES' to that question.

Now unlike the ants, I have no convincing evidence that any gods exist. The intellectually honest, truth-seeking response ought to be IMHO, that one ought not to accept as true, that which is lacking in any kind of convincing evidence. So if you find no convincing evidence for the existence of any gods, then one ought NOT to accept such propositions as TRUE. This is NOT the same as finding that the propositions are FALSE.

Speaking for me, I count myself as an agnostic atheist. I'm atheist, because I believe in no gods, whilst not going so far as saying that I know to a certainty that no gods exist. This lack of absolute certainty exists because I can't prove the universal, that there are no gods whatsoever. Thus the agnostic part of my self classification. This means that if in the future I find some convincing evidence for the existence of a god, then I'd change my position.

Note that atheism is a state of belief, (or more accurately, a lack of belief). Agnosticism is about knowledge, (knowledge being a true accurate understanding of ontology; ie. of reality).

If I were a wise ant that could think, I would stick to what I had good convincing evidence for, and not go inventing epistomologies, (which seems like a contradiction anyway). I would be like humans are, with some knowledge based on convincing evidence, analysis and testing, plus some propositions without convincing evidence, on which I'd be agnostic.

As for myself, on the "God" question, there are many things which are proposed by theology, about "God", which make no sense to me, and some are contradictory or incoherent, IMHO. I put those those in the b*llsh*t basket, and think to myself that those B.S. propositions are really signs of the absence of any better, more convincing evidence for the existence "God".
There are no atheists in terrorist training camps.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself - by Magilla - August 24, 2017 at 11:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 6990 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 12073 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9448 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  This is strange. Explaining stuff to myself. purplepurpose 26 7334 December 16, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  atheist math question loganonekenobi 16 3591 April 11, 2016 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Still struggling. Socratic Meth Head 436 30673 March 18, 2016 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 12078 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Answers in Genesis? I want an answer for this! Mental Outlaw 41 10782 February 9, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  i have a question [Atheist only] dyresand 19 6657 November 20, 2014 at 1:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  When faith tries to answer a simple question. dyresand 27 7330 November 16, 2014 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: dyresand