Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 1:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you reconcile your god, the mass murderer?
RE: How do you reconcile your god, the mass murderer?
(December 6, 2017 at 7:33 am)Starhunter Wrote:
(December 5, 2017 at 12:22 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Well some ideals are obviously better than others. If you think we should let god run everything, then a theocracy is what you're recommending. There is a reason having one person call all the shots doesn't work. Because one person can't be trusted with full power over an entire population. Case in point, Yahweh's solution to just about everything seems to involve killing people, which obviously hasn't solved Humanity's problems.
I am convinced that God overrules the affairs of the world anyway, whether we like it or not, and whether we recognise it or not. 
The Bible has recorded numerous aspects and variations of Divine intervention. A theocracy was only a part of it. It is up to the reader to judge those actions. 

As for the "killing" that keeps popping up, if I was living peacefully and a hoard of grubby Philistines came over the hill to kill my village, I'd be happy if God made them pass away.

I agree with everyone's point of view about the despotic images of God that seem to be written, but proper investigation reveals far more than meets the eye. 
Preconceived ideas have to be laid down when making a sincere inquiry. 

I am not in favor of a theocracy, because it is a temporary solution, which if the people don't want to work with, it ends up being a substitutionary political system, which was not intended, because God is into a family setup, not policies and hierarchies. 
But there are plenty of people (in power) who would love the have the church rule again, and their wishes will come true for the entire globe - fortunately for a short time only.
He's in charge of everything. So it's his fault we got Trump as president in America. Super. And christians, and jews, and muslims, who are all Abrahamic religions, have been warring with each other for centuries over how to worship the same god. How are we supposed to tell the difference between a god who is inept at managing the world, and one who doesn't exist? Because if I was a god who had a chosen people, they'd be at the top of the world, and their lives would be considerably better than any other Human's, regardless of where they live. Someone could set up a house in the Arctic Circle, and grow crops there. That's how you let other people know that you're real, and following you is the high life.

If I worshiped a god who was supposed to be real, and all powerful, and a bunch of grubby Philistines came over and wrecked your shit, then I'd pick a different god. And if if he was real, killing off sections of the population does not solve the problem, except in the most temporary terms. Where is the social reform in your book? The best we get is saying don't beat your slaves/servants to death, and make sure you pay the bride price and marry the girl you just raped in the field. That kind of thing. No equality. No helping people rise up and better themselves.

I agree that preconceived notions must be laid down, yes. We just disagree on which one of us need to lay them down.
If you want people to all turn to god, and follow the bible in their lives and laws and such, you're advocating theocracy. And yes it doesn't work in the long run. That should be a red flag right there. And why do people think god is about family anyway? Jesus didn't think much of families when he talked about them. Your enemies will be the members of your own household.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you reconcile your god, the mass murderer? - by Chad32 - December 6, 2017 at 10:59 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I thought your god was keeping you safe rado84 331 29819 April 25, 2019 at 1:07 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8842 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Papal mass in Phoenix Park likely to be a damp squib GUBU 10 1746 August 24, 2018 at 5:57 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? Angrboda 144 23758 June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  So what do you Christians like about your god belief/religion? Whateverist 44 10033 November 14, 2015 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  For God Is So Worried Where You Put Your Dick.... Minimalist 16 2884 February 27, 2015 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Mass grave discovered in an abandoned Catholic children's home. Esquilax 46 8835 June 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Vox
  Christians Please Reconcile this Statement themonkeyman 18 4186 April 26, 2014 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Drich
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12707 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Your God is your ultimate barrier to finding the Godhead. Greatest I am 1 1458 May 2, 2012 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused