Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what do you Christians like about your god belief/religion?
So what do you Christians like about your god belief/religion?
I'm sure thinking it is true must be right up there.  (I'm not going to even mention confirmation bias.  Damn.)  But I wonder when you sit back and count your riches, what exactly does your god belief contribute to your good life?  

(For those of you accustomed to finding polls in my threads .. next time for sure!)
RE: So what do you Christians like about your god belief/religion?
And how important to you is that god is going to smite the non-believers?

That's always a good litmus test to tell just what motivates the beliefs.
Freedom, from sin and the law as a means to righteousness/morality.

Plus direct access to God is a big plus especially in answering you 'good' people.
(November 7, 2015 at 12:00 pm)Faith No More Wrote: And how important to you is that god is going to smite the non-believers?

That's always a good litmus test to tell just what motivates the beliefs.

smiting is also high on the list..

Smite is a funny word though, it sounds funny and it can mean completely oppsite things. (For those of you who only see it as a negative)
(November 7, 2015 at 12:07 pm)Drich Wrote: Plus direct access to God is a big plus especially in answering you 'good' people.

I don't think you've got anything I don't have there. I don't call it God but I also have direct access to something beyond my conscious mind .. provided I can remain interested and humble enough to tune it in. What I have has shown itself to be more brilliant and insightful than i alone. It too has a stake in my success .. defined on its own terms of course. There is plenty of mystery left in the world even after the death of the literal God.

(November 7, 2015 at 12:07 pm)Drich Wrote: Freedom, from sin and the law as a means to righteousness/morality.

That certainly sounds like an odd sort of freedom. Freedom from the law by means of toeing the line? I guess. Knuckle under and you are free! How exhilarating. Undecided
Freedom to swill anything toxic to no ill effect has got to be a big plus as the environment continues to degrade.

Ability to heal any disease or infirmity is pretty damn handy too, considering Obama imploded the healthcare system. All the True Christians are immune to all the upheavals and folderol, malpractice is never an issue either.

EVERYTHING being possible through Jesus (I'm assuming there is an asterisk omitting the bigger sins, of course) has got to be FANTASTIC !! Imagine Krispy Kreme never running out of donuts !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 7, 2015 at 12:07 pm)Drich Wrote: Freedom, from sin and the law as a means to righteousness/morality.

Plus direct access to God is a big plus especially in answering you 'good' people.

Sooo...freedom from being held accountable against a list of arbitrary and often barbaric rules perpetrated by an ancient culture, and the ability to trust that your thoughts and musings are inspired by a source of absolute truth.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I liked about my Gaud, too.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
I like the way that I can make up whatever crap I want, and then that's exactly what Jesus wants.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
or Joseph Smith . . . .

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 7, 2015 at 12:11 pm)Drich Wrote: smiting is also high on the list..

Smite is a funny word though, it sounds funny and it can mean completely oppsite things. (For those of you who only see it as a negative)

Quibbles about definitions mean little when you're the smitee.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1321 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13077 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright R00tKiT 80 7189 August 13, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9147 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  I thought your god was keeping you safe rado84 331 29112 April 25, 2019 at 1:07 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Belief Catharsis 57 4274 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7803 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Christians: What line are you unwilling to cross for God? Cecelia 96 10493 September 5, 2018 at 6:19 pm
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 14963 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  Christians: Does Your God Have Testicles and Ovaries? chimp3 97 18399 April 1, 2018 at 1:37 am
Last Post: GrandizerII