Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 5, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'?
RE: Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'?
(November 30, 2017 at 2:14 pm)Hammy Wrote: Because he was flawed and lacking and therefore imperfect? Wink

(or nonexistent)

Just a thought!

I guess that depends if you consider wanting more out of life when you're a 'perfect' being to be a flaw, deficit or lack of some kind. Did God want more or did God need more? (if we pretend he exists for sec Tongue) And if God merely wanted more . . . is having a desire necessarily a flaw of some kind? Would God be more perfect if he had no desires?

See, that's why I find theology utterly pointless. It's like pretending Superman is real for a second and then having a super serious conversation about how important it is to know exactly how his powers work. And then you wake up like "Oh yeah it doesn't matter because he's not real."

Personally I think that a truly perfect being would be completely self-satisfied and wouldn't need or want anything. There would be no point in creating a universe. Him would be all that existed and that would be perfect. Nothing more necessary. And no more "better" to move towards, so it's not just that he doesn't need more . . . there's no point in wanting more because you already have it all. It's as good as it gets. It's perfect.

I guess one objection could be "he can do whatever he wants and he's still perfect." But my point would be that . .  . what's stopping anything from being perfect then? Can't God do things that are imperfect? I guess the answer would be "He could but he wouldn't". So then the question is "Are all the actions that God takes flawless? Has God even made a mistake?", etc. Round and round we go.

Theology: Study of an imaginary being.

If you want to have someone respond to the post that you obviously took time to write, you should stop telling them in every other sentence that their beliefs are nonsense.

In your conclusion "that a truly perfect being would be completely self-satisfied and wouldn't need or want anything" is obviously wrong.  The experience of a relationship with creatures of free would seem to add something of value that was not there before.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? - by SteveII - November 30, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1106 77770 May 2, 2024 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11536 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  What does "Separation of Church and State" mean? Brian37 54 3156 March 9, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 25071 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 5254 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33071 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2369 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 40672 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
  What will you say to God when you stand before him? The Valkyrie 78 8948 March 5, 2021 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Lightbearer
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3559 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders