Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 11:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
RE: The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
(December 24, 2017 at 7:08 am)notimportant1234 Wrote: I'm not a Christian but I like a challenge( basicaly that is why I cam here and to know atheists).
Firstly lets go with the story. It is clear that the story is speaking about heaven( the penny) . Now the point is , why should you be bothered if someone who came to religion lately than you did if the reward is heaven? I mean , there is no reward bigger than heaven. The Bible is saying also that every sin is equal in the eyes of God , so basically from that view point you are as much as a sinner that the lately arrived.

The benefits of Christianity depend from person to person, it can help you have a better life quality. But I think the whole atheist/theist things is based on a missunderstanding. I think it gets cleare by the next thing:
All sins are equal in the eyes of God. Althoug somewhere in the bible says that you need to believe in order to be saved , I think the poin of the story it was not that only those who believe are saved but to make it clear that not-believing in the Son of God is a sin. And you can solve this with one statement " Forgive them because they don't know what they are doing", now in that situation, Jesus asks for forgivens for all people including the Romans that didn't believed in him nor God. So it doesn't matter if you are an atheist or theist.

While the idea of generic deism that skips a specific God and religion, I don't see even that as credible.

Why wait most of the 13.8 billion years to only make us on 1 rock isolated and full of danger and potential death. Seems like a lot of waste to me.

It makes much more sense to me that the desire to want even a generic god is really nothing more than a projection of our own qualities.

I forgot which ancient Greek said it, but something like, "If horses had gods their gods would look like horses."

Three books, if you have not read.

1. The New Atheism, Victor Stenger, says that science DOES have something to say about God/god claims. Also points out that our species morality is not coming from old mythology but is actually in us. 

2. God The Failed Hypothesis, Victor Stenger, more picking apart the bad logic of why the gap answer fails.

3. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins, explains how evolution from a neurological aspect caused us as a species to come up with bad answers. His best description makes God belief as the same type of misfire that a moth would have, "the moth mistaking the light bulb for the natural moonlight".

I see all God/god/deity/super natural claims as nothing more than our species gullibility and wishful thinking in a strive for survival. It may create groups, which do increase the odds of survival, but that group can base their beliefs on very false ideas.

I do not see our species important to the planet knowing in its 4 billion year history, it has had 5 mass extinctions as to which what we see now is only a mere 1% of life that managed to survive. I also find it absurd to think an estimated 2 trillion galaxies were made just so we could stare at them but for most of our 200k history as a species, lived in ignorance and still cant get a human out of our solar system.

Again, human narcissism, and fear of being finite, as a projection of our own qualities, that is what I see. Gap answers. Most humans get sold the religion of their parents long before they can formulate adult critical thinking skills.

Messages In This Thread
The benefits of being christian. Where are there??? - by Dnte - December 24, 2017 at 1:57 am
RE: The benefits of being christian. Where are there??? - by Brian37 - December 28, 2017 at 10:13 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89802 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? Jehanne 157 21447 October 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5725 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Is there another motivation for christian belief? brewer 118 17414 September 23, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7524 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12284 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  How many christian beliebers are there? Belac Enrobso 9 1983 December 29, 2013 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Has anyone ever found a way to reconsile being Gay/Bi/Lesbien and being a Christian? pop_punks_not_dead 102 43634 February 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Rant of logic: There is no such thing as a "Christian" GateofZion 53 21404 January 5, 2013 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6366 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej