Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 12:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions
I would like to say something new and important here now.  From having this whole entire discussion, I came to realize there was a much better way of getting my point across.  The way I did it was ineffective and I am now going to present an effective way of doing it that gets all my arguments across:

Quote:  "The road to truth can be a long journey and there are no shortcuts."

Always Keep An Open Mind And Never Jump To Conclusions:  I am going to share my own personal view when it comes to drawing a conclusion in regards to whether the afterlife, paranormal, god, soul, etc. exist or not.  This personal view of mine also applies to every other topic that has a lot of debate.  I personally think that human beings are very limited, close minded creatures and limit themselves to their particular views.  They use shortcut methods of reasoning and logic to arrive at what they think is the truth rather than doing full research and looking at all the objections being said and addressed.  I think this shortcut method is flawed and is a very simple, close minded, and limiting approach.  People should do full research into both the paranormal and the skeptical/materialistic research before drawing any given conclusion as to whether the skeptics have real evidence or the paranormal has evidence.  

I think this is the truly right and open minded way of drawing a conclusion.  I will give you an example here with how these shortcut methods are flawed.  Skeptics would claim that their scientific method clearly demonstrates paranormal evidence to be fake.  But the paranormal researchers would say that the scientific method does not demonstrate the evidence to be fake and that there is, in fact, testable, repeatable evidence for these paranormal phenomena.  From there, these paranormal researchers would say that the skeptics have no evidence for their claims and that they are just being close minded and refusing to accept the paranormal evidence.  I, myself, have no way of knowing whether the skeptics are right in their conclusions or whether the paranormal researchers are right since I have not done full research into this myself.  

I have no interest in this research and am merely keeping an open mind here.  I will continue to say some more things here.  There are basic facts of life such as the fact that an orange is a juicy fruit or that we will all grow old one day and our physical bodies will die.  These things have no debate and these are things we all know to be true.  But then there are topics that have a lot of debate about them such as the paranormal or the idea that vaccines are harmful or that they cause autism.  I have to remain undecided on these things since I have no interest in fully researching these things and I think it is close minded for me to draw a conclusion through any shortcut of reasoning and logic.  

As long as a claim is being made by researchers and people who have had a lot of training and education, then this is enough to warrant an open minded, full research into their claims rather than dismissing them through shortcuts.  It doesn't matter what that claim is whether it be the Earth being flat, the idea that we are eternal souls, or anything else.  Just because an idea sounds crazy and dumb at first glance does not mean we should dismiss it.  Neither does it automatically mean that the rest of the arguments these researchers make are dumbfounded and warrant no further research into them.  There is a big difference between well-trained, educated researchers making claims as opposed to a very dumb, crazy person making a claim.  

If someone claimed that we can rip our heart out and still live, then we can just give up on the debate with that person since he would be very dumb and/or crazy.  But if a researcher made this claim and said that there was somehow a way to achieve this, then we should keep an open mind towards that claim.  Sure, there are researchers who believe dumb, crazy things.  But the very fact that these researchers are people who have a lot of education and training is enough to warrant an open minded, full research into their claims.  I will say one last thing here.  That is, I do make certain decisions in life despite not knowing the truth.  I still decide to not take vaccines despite not knowing whether they are truly harmful or not.

What Would An All Knowing Being Say?:  I am going to give a hypothetical example of an all knowing being.  If this being were to exist and we were to ask him whether the paranormal, soul, and afterlife is real or not rather than taking the words of skeptics and paranormal researchers, he might say something radical and unexpected.  He might say that human beings limit themselves to their particular worldviews through their shortcut methods.  From there, this being would give us the real answer as to whether those mystical phenomena exist or not.

I Will Not Fall Into Anyone's Trap.  I Cannot Trust Humanity:  My personality also plays a major role in my lack of trust in humanity.  I am someone who really wants the eternal blissful afterlife of my dreams to be something real.  Living forever in the blissful afterlife of my dreams would be the most profoundly beautiful and joyful existence for me.  But skeptics would come along and tell me that I have every reason to think the afterlife and paranormal is all woo and bull crap.  They would present their shortcut methods in order to try to convince me.  They would attempt to trap me into their skeptical worldview (bubble). 

But I do not fit into anyone's bubble or box. I am outside the box/bubble which means I cannot trust anybody.  Another example would be fundamentalist Christians who would tell me that I have every reason to think hell is real and that I will go there unless I repent my sins.  I would tell these Christians that I will not be fooled by their methods of trying to convince me of their worldview.  I have this exact same mindset in regards to anybody making any given claim.  This would even include people and researchers who claim that there is an eternal blissful afterlife for us all after we die even though this is something I really want to be true.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Astreja - April 6, 2018 at 11:10 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by GUBU - April 7, 2018 at 4:49 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by tjakey - April 7, 2018 at 12:26 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by GUBU - April 8, 2018 at 5:25 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by haig - April 7, 2018 at 10:56 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by haig - April 8, 2018 at 7:00 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by haig - April 8, 2018 at 9:39 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by haig - April 8, 2018 at 1:38 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by emjay - April 8, 2018 at 9:45 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by emjay - April 8, 2018 at 1:37 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by emjay - April 8, 2018 at 2:32 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 8, 2018 at 10:05 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 8, 2018 at 10:18 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 8, 2018 at 10:25 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 8, 2018 at 10:31 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 8, 2018 at 10:56 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by haig - April 8, 2018 at 11:04 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Fireball - April 10, 2018 at 12:16 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by haig - April 9, 2018 at 5:17 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by haig - April 10, 2018 at 1:01 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 10:09 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 10:15 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 10:18 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 10:24 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 10:41 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 10:45 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 10:52 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 10:58 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 11:03 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 11:08 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 9, 2018 at 11:16 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Transcended Dimensions - April 10, 2018 at 12:58 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 10, 2018 at 2:16 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 10, 2018 at 2:29 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 10, 2018 at 4:54 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 11, 2018 at 1:19 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 11, 2018 at 1:49 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 11, 2018 at 1:56 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 11, 2018 at 2:24 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 11, 2018 at 9:52 am
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 11, 2018 at 12:14 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 11, 2018 at 12:26 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by robvalue - April 11, 2018 at 12:49 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 11, 2018 at 2:17 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 11, 2018 at 2:33 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by brewer - April 20, 2018 at 2:58 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by brewer - April 20, 2018 at 3:01 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 20, 2018 at 2:41 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by Foxaèr - April 20, 2018 at 7:35 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 21, 2018 at 12:54 pm
RE: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions - by KevinM1 - April 21, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My conclusions about weak Atheism. Mystic 72 13933 April 5, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9447 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  2014 article in online science journal: "Atheists Might Not Exist" Whateverist 15 4106 July 4, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here's why Creatards might be right ErGingerbreadMandude 710 72901 November 19, 2015 at 8:18 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Starting Atheist, Agnostic, Skeptics group in East County SD LivingNumbers6.626 13 5199 August 15, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Conclusions: What postitions are most typical of atheists using AF.org Whateverist 23 4555 July 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  Supposed Skeptics? FatAndFaithless 26 4699 July 9, 2014 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  You might be an Atheist... The Reality Salesman01 14 3722 November 15, 2013 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  9 Questions That Atheists Might Find Insulting Raven 13 6134 June 5, 2013 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Religions I might try before becoming a full Atheist... dudeofawesome 28 6894 February 12, 2013 at 2:07 am
Last Post: Angrboda