Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 8:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
(August 18, 2018 at 12:05 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(August 17, 2018 at 11:21 am)Khemikal Wrote: I'm not saying you need euphemisms, Benny..I'm pointing out that you've employed one, either wittingly or unwittingly.  That you have made a euphemism for your noted discomfort the definition of an ideology...but that this euphemism does not accurately describe that ideology.  Further, that the employment of this euphemism is, in fact...a fully accurate expression of the very thing you've employed it against.  
My employment of this so-called euphemism is. . . a fully accurate expression of the PC left?  *brain explodes*
It's a fully accurate expression of identity politics, Benny.  Tight little bundle of irony, and you know how much I appreciate irony.  

Quote:I'm not particularly emboldened by Peterson.  You've discussed almost every issue under the sun with me.  Would you really characterize me as lacking in boldness when express or arguing my opinions?  Do you really think I need the opinions of others in order to have the courage to make myself heard?  I would be quite surprised if you really felt so.
Do I need to quote all the silly shit you said about how peterson got it right and his detractors got it wrong and you could explain anything and..btw....I don't take personal checks.  Cash only.  Wink

So yes, peterson emboldened you in this discussion.  peterson presented what you thought were examples of the thing you think the left is trying to do, turns out the examples weren't factually accurate, and neither are the things you think the left is trying to do.  

Quote:I don't think so. Identity politics refers to demographic identity, not so much philosophical stances on things. Identity politics means that the STATE OF BEING white or black or gay or whatever is sufficient in order to draw conclusions, make arguments, or agree or disagree with positions based on the perceived state of the demographic as an entity.

And let me say that I'm 100% sure, crystal fucking clear, that the right-wing nutjobs are full of the same kind of thing, and that the actual practice of it has far graver consequence. I mean, the N-word itself is a pretty explicit imposition of a demographic identity without regard to the personal traits of a given individual, and I would say implies an immediate threat just in being spoken.

That being said, it is with the fart-sniffing left that I've had the most exposure, and it is my frustrations with them in particular that lead me to loathe identity politics.
I know you don't think so..but just as with the peterson song and dance..you've been shown that you are.  I'm not telling you that both sides do it, that the right wing is also full of nut jobs..I'm telling you that your appraisal of the pc left is the -doing- of right wing nutjobs.  The example of peterson is a prime case.

I don't doubt that you've met fart sniffers who..to you, typify some leftist ideology.  It's your classification itself that's at issue, not that you've met assholes.  

Now...you've linked a definition of pc..and you've defined identity politics as you see it..but there's no obvious connection between the those two..whereas your categorization of the pc left is explicitly and undeniably identical to your definition of identity politics. I know, I know, you mentioned pages ago you weren't worried about being a hypocrite..but I'm not calling you a hypocrite here, because that would imply that the other guys are doing it to...which they aren't.

I think....that you've causually absorbed a fair amount of right wing propaganda that you weren't aware of -as- right wing propaganda, and that the combination of assholes and bad actors on, in and adjacent to the left has calcified the truth of that propaganda in your mind. Peterson and south park are examples just in this thread..I would be wholly surprised if there weren't more. As I keep saying, I can understand why you think what you do.

The left certainly has a bad actor problem, I don't think it can actually get rid of that problem while remaining true to core leftist ideology, yet more of the irony I appreciate. Most objection to PC left this or that is in the caveat "taken to extremes"...but..theres nothing in the definition of pc being taken to extremes in the example of a bad actor who..for example, wants to flip the tables and oppress the oppressors..or whatever the fuck they dream about. They're doing and advocating for something entirely different, not taking pc to an extreme...and that bad actors viewpoint is gaining precisely -zero- traction in law...despite constant howling to the contrary by rightwing fuckwads.

There will never be, for example..the confiscation of the white mans property to be allocated as reparations. If it did happen (it wont) that's not pc in action..it's something else entirely. There will never be any sort of criminalization or social shunning of white skin, that would not be pc..while there already is shunning of racism - which is pc....though I strongly doubt it will ever become illegal to -be- a racist...which would itself not be pc and immediately make racists a group of people to whom pc ideology would apply - as a discriminated or disadvantaged group. More irony.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by The Grand Nudger - August 18, 2018 at 10:20 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 18773 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 337 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 721 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15475 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4122 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1710 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9634 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus