Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 3:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion
(October 7, 2018 at 11:27 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(October 7, 2018 at 2:02 am)bennyboy Wrote: I'm not blind.  I know black people have it bad.  But the solution to racism isn't more racism-- it's blanket policies that support the rights of all citizens equally.

Policies aren't enough, buddy. Attitudes need to be addressed, privilege needs to be acknowledged, you can't just talk equality for all, when some of us are happily privileged in one or more ways, and many others are not. Address the root of the issue first before you try to solve the problem overall.
Right now, the root of the problem is largely the dickish stance of the PC left. If you make self-demonizing a moral criterion, or expect individual citizens to extend rights to others that they are not afforded themselves because of their skin color, then you are doing it wrong.

Do you really think you're going to reduce racism overall by telling people that because of the color of their skin, you expect them to accept differential treatment from other citizens? Is that really your solution to the problem of racism? This is so obviously wrong that it shouldn't even need to be mentioned.

Quote:
Quote:The truth is, you and I live in a different universe because words just don't mean what you are trying to make them mean.  When you say, "A should be protected, and B doesn't need to be," then this is differential treatment-- which you claim to support because of your love of equality.  Do you not see the irony of trying to get people to be treated equally by endorsing a policy which is designed to treat them differently?

If you mean affirmative action and such, these are necessary (albeit flawed) temporary solutions to swing the [symbolic] pendulum a bit more towards the center. Without enacting these "solutions", the pendulum is just going to continue to linger at one end and never hit the center.
I'm clearly talking about your assertion that since white people are privileged, they do not require or deserve protection from racism. What's the harm in extending equal privileges and protections to ALL citizens?

As for affirmative action-- what happened to your pleading that people be valued according to their personal merits and abilities? Why doesn't some white kid in a trailer park get the same scholarships that a black kid in the projects can get?

How about this, and I'll keep saying it, and you'll keep not getting it-- if you target for socioeconomic issues, you can improve the plight of black people preferentially without actually having to make a racist policy. Make scholarships for poor kids. Rich black kids aren't particularly disenfranchised. Yale accepting one of the Obama kids to fill a quota isn't really going to do much for the problem, is it? Let Bubba Smith Jr. have a chance, right along with Shaniqua Jones.

Overall, since black people are poorer, then making policies that tend to reduce the advantages of wealth WILL in fact benefit black people more. So do that. Why do you have to make it a race thing?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion - by bennyboy - October 7, 2018 at 5:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 337 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? Whateverist 901 77553 September 24, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 721 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 68261 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Thinking of writing a book... Sayetsu 4 622 March 13, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 65499 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Actual infinities. Jehanne 48 9558 October 18, 2017 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Succubus
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15479 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Are other atheists of one book? carusmm 14 1946 May 30, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Book of Genesis Parashu 16 2824 February 20, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist