Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 10:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked?
RE: are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked?
(February 2, 2019 at 5:32 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Medicine is guided by extremely strict ethical practices. If a late term abortion is performed it would be due to extremely good and ethical reasons.

To pretend otherwise is to misrepresent the entire medical profession.

Are you sure? Doctors are human beings, and human beings sometimes place their ideology, politics, and beliefs ahead of ethics. Doctors are as guilty as anyone of rationalizing atrocities. You have heard of Dr. Mengele, right? And last month an American doctor was busted for saying that she would give Jews the wrong medication. Those are extreme examples. But trusting doctors to self regulate is a bit naive. Self regulation gets weird. Self regulation inherently becomes a bit arrogant, and the self regulated always become convinced that what is best for them is best for everyone.

I am not against abortion. But the law says that a doctor has the right to perform the procedure if they determine that it is in the best medical interest of their patient. I want their decision to perform the procedure to be based on their medical assessment, and not on their politics or ideological garbage. Bodily autonomy is rationalized ideological garbage. And before anyone goes there, I think that it is in the patient's best medical interest if the doctor is concerned that a woman will seek the services of an unqualified provider if the doctor refuses to perform the procedure.

I am aware that feminists don't like the legal reasoning behind legalized abortions. They want the reasoning to revolve around 'bodily autonomy'. But bodily autonomy is more of a self flattering rhetorical concept than a legal one. The legal justification for abortions is less than flattering, because one of the most common justifications is that we do it to protect women from themselves-- if the doctor doesn't do it, she might find an unqualified practitioner.

I agree that is not a very flattering medical justification for performing the procedure. But purpose of the law is not to flatter people. Women who want the law to say that bodily autonomy gives them the right to abortions simply want the law to be flattering and empowering, rather than simply protecting them from themselves. But the law is there to protect you and not to stroke the ego.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.

Messages In This Thread
RE: are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? - by Yonadav - February 2, 2019 at 10:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enough with the cliches Foxaèr 41 2682 October 24, 2021 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Do we look like the Shell Answer Man? onlinebiker 8 637 December 7, 2020 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2227 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  Jeopardy categories where AF members are the answer Mr.Obvious 30 3183 March 29, 2019 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Any of you guys experience this? (Part 2) Foxaèr 6 1717 June 18, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  If you could look like any celebrity The Industrial Atheist 30 4857 April 23, 2018 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The end of this month cannot come fast enough Foxaèr 22 4395 April 15, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: c172
  I asked a girl out.... Mystic 51 4568 March 30, 2018 at 3:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do you have any birth marks? brewer 28 3088 January 31, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can I Just Say and I'm just being honest (Holiday Edition) Mystical 9 2185 November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Divinity