Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 3:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Religion, If Any, Were You Before You Became An Atheist?
RE: What Religion, If Any, Were You Before You Became An Atheist?
(January 31, 2011 at 11:03 am)thesummerqueen Wrote:
(January 31, 2011 at 10:22 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Funniest thing...i have recently read that "Passover" was a 'Wiccan' equivalent to Equinox...'Wiccan' is a bit more 'Naturalworld/ As it is' orientated if you ignore the God/Goddess mumbo jumbo

Really? I've never heard someone use the term "Passover" to described any of the Wiccan holidays.

bugger!! Blush my error. It was to say
"....Passover has it's 'Wiccan' equivalent in Equinox"

Sorry I'm very tired (I don't tolerate the heat very well)...thanks for the correction!

(January 31, 2011 at 11:03 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Herbcraft didn't become witchcraft until the church decided that it A) hated women and B) prayer was the only way to heal. Which is stupid, because in most cases the monasteries and nunneries were also veritable treasure troves of herbal knowledge. Which goes to show I think that the vast majority of people on the ground, even religious ones, know in their heart that their dogma is bullshit and won't save them. Even ladies in fairly wealthy manors were expected to keep a small herb garden for healing or flavoring bad food.

People just don't like others to have any sort of power they don't.

Completely agree with you there. As I was trying to say ...and as you have pointed out...EVERYONE had some knowledge of 'witchcraft' ie: herbs to heal and soothe, the ability to mend torn flesh and set broken bones, or at least there was someone to hand that knew how...unfortunately it was usually the 'ladies' that had this knowledge.

Monasteries and Nunneries of Europe did not have anything beyond the most simple culinary herbs (or if they did they I doubt they knew what to do with them) until the works of 'Galen' resurfaced from Iraq/ Persia I am thinking. The middle east faired alot better there, medicine wise. (pun intended)
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Religion, If Any, Were You Before You Became An Atheist? - by KichigaiNeko - January 31, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 2875 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3407 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1609 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4363 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6701 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any ? Rahn127 1167 96407 January 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 12229 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4167 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Before I was born... Jehanne 12 1763 June 26, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7784 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet