Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 5:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity
RE: Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity
(July 16, 2019 at 10:13 am)tackattack Wrote:
(July 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm)Cecelia Wrote: I didn't realize it was expecting coaches to 'act like a robot' to expect them not to lead their team in a prayer.   Apparently I've been a 'robotic' cheerleading coach, because I've never once led my students in prayer or even mentioned god.  (Or rather, a lackthereof, and how silly it is to believe in such nonsense)
Which is exactly my point. It's not just that you only talked about cheer. You feel God and prayer are "silly ...to believe such nonsense". You don't think that comes out in your mannerisms or side comments as a coach? And what if someone wanted to talk about God or prayer but was afraid they'd be singled out and laughed at for their silly beliefs?

We can't separate who we are and what we believe from what we do. So what's the differentiating factor? Neither one of you answered the relevant question. If you make someone uncomfortable by being who you are and expressing yourself, should intent matter or is it always wrong? I believe this is the very basis of the social contract and you have to be ready to be offended if you want the freedom to express yourself publicly.

@arewethereyet - maybe it would be a little clearer to me if you could define the difference between "urging your belief system onto others", expressing myself and indoctrinating children?
You aren't this ignorant and the act is getting old.

If you are suggesting prayer then you are urging kids to follow your belief system.  Kids are generally going to follow the lead of the adult in charge and you are taking advantage of being in that position.  Stop trying to pretend a sports huddle is a call to prayer.  It isn't...it's a way for teammates on the field to get together and quickly discuss the plan for the next play without revealing that plan to the other team.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity - by arewethereyet - July 16, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 560 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Gospels and the war in Ukraine. Jehanne 15 2075 April 7, 2022 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4448 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 8819 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 21072 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The War on Christmas Chad32 29 4134 January 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Phoque
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4825 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Feeling a form of "religious discrimination" for the first time Aegon 19 1899 May 22, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10637 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 4015 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus