Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Quranic Reflection]: The universe is expanding
RE: [Quranic Reflection]: The universe is expanding
(August 11, 2020 at 9:37 am)Apistos Wrote:
(August 9, 2020 at 1:33 pm)WinterHold Wrote: No, it doesn't mean "rich and capable". The word literally mean "expander" or also "widener".
Actually it does, and it is the understanding that suits the context the most because power is mentioned.
Its mentioned in more than one commentery :

Tafseer Al-Qurtubi :
الجوهري : وأوسع الرجل أي صار ذا سعة وغنى ، ومنه قوله تعالى : والسماء بنيناها بأيد وإنا لموسعون أي أغنياء قادرون . .
https://islamweb.net/ar/library/index.ph...=2770#docu

The 2 red-colored words are :
أغنياء = Richs
قادرون = Capables
Any body could check them in a dictionary and see for themselves.

Tafseer Al-Tabari:
وقوله ( وَإِنَّا لَمُوسِعُونَ ) يقول: لذو سعة بخلقها وخلق ما شئنا أن نخلقه وقدرة عليه.
Translation : by saying we are expanders, he (god) is saying that he has the capability سعة of creating them (the heavens) and creating whatever we (god) wish to creat, and hase the ability.
https://quran.ksu.edu.sa/tafseer/tabary/...tml#tabary

If you want to go even further I can bring u quotes from major Arabic-Arabic dictionaries that says the same.

So as u can see, the whole trick is about the word si3a سعة in arabic, as it could mean either "broadness" or "capability"

It doesn't mean "rich" unless you insert "wealth" implicitly or explicitly in the sentence. For example:
 you are a person with wideness in livelihood=انت شخص ذو سعة في الرزق

but if I want to compliment you on your "wide swimming pool" I would say:
مسبحك واسع = your pool is wide !

So the word means "wide"; when somebody say "I'm the widener of this place" then it doesn't mean "rich and capable".
So again; where is the mention of either livelihood, or anything related to it in the verse?

you have a case if -and only if- the context you claim is supported by a word aiming to the direction of wealth or richness. Otherwise I am sorry; but you have nothing.

Quote:All Qurtubi :
والأرض فرشناها أي بسطناها كالفراش على وجه الماء ومددناها .
فنعم الماهدون أي فنعم الماهدون نحن لهم . والمعنى في الجمع التعظيم ; مهدت الفراش مهدا بسطته ووطأته ، وتمهيد الأمور تسويتها وإصلاحها .
https://quran.ksu.edu.sa/tafseer/tabary/...tml#tabary

It is basically talking about Earth being spread out on water like a bed is spread out, this is clearley about a flat earth!

Exactly; a person this dumb deserves to get sacked by the Mongols in Baghdad,

And thats not everything, the verse was even used, in other context, by Islamic scholars to prove that the earth is flat :

Quote:Al-Qurtubi : (al-hijr - 19)
قال ابن عباس : بسطناها على وجه الماء ; كما قال : والأرض بعد ذلك دحاها أي بسطها . وقال : والأرض فرشناها فنعم الماهدون . وهو يرد على من زعم أنها كالكرة 
https://quran.ksu.edu.sa/tafseer/qortobi...ml#qortobi
[url=https://quran.ksu.edu.sa/tafseer/qortobi/sura15-aya19.html#qortobi][/url]

Translation: Ibn Abbas said: spread on the face of water; and earth afterwards got spread; and earth we have brushed and we were the best; replying to those who say earth is a ball

Quote:It is not so rare for Arabic words to a meaning that is not obviousely related to the morphological fundimental. For example : The word Jarrah جرة = jar, derives from the fundimental J-R-R just like the verb Jarra جر = To drag (past tence). Dragging has nothing to do with jars, yet they share the same fundemental in Arabic.

Now, this is a very obviouse example from Quran itself of the usage of موسعون As "rich and capable" : 
وعلى الموسع قدره و على المقتر قدره - البقرة 236

As I told you above; you must have a second word to support and verify what is the "wide thing".
Explicitly; the wide thing here is the قدر

قدره=his wealth state

So the "wealth" clarified what is the "wide thing".

(August 11, 2020 at 10:38 am)Ibn Warraq Wrote:
(August 9, 2020 at 1:33 pm)WinterHold Wrote: No, it doesn't mean "rich and capable". The word literally mean "expander" or also "widener".
Please refer to the rich discussion I had with the member "Grandizer" on page 13 of this topic:

https://atheistforums.org/thread-61164-p...pid1986736

Also, ماهدون doesn't mean -even closely- that the earth is flattened; it means -literally- that the earth was made suitable for roads to exist.

Please use full words in order to understand you.
But I demand you to bring the verse that says the heaven elevated from the earth.
Hi Bro عليك سلام النور وما من نور إلا نور العقل فإحتكم له فهو أشد مثقالا
i'm not good in english 
I'm an arab i'm good in arabic both thinking and understanding
the word heaven in quran is very disturbed in it's physical meaning and it's impossible to fix it with scientific concept as we undestood science 
to prove my claims
i'll give uthe  evidences in arabic...

No. This is an English forum; It is not intended to have foreign languages to discuss with, you can use other languages to support a point you already had stated in English; though.

If your English is not good, go take a course or learn online then come back.
Thank you; MK.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Quranic Reflection]: The universe is expanding - by WinterHold - August 11, 2020 at 4:24 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Quranic Reflection] : "Joseph; he came to you before with the clear proofs". WinterHold 60 4579 September 22, 2023 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Quranic Reflection]: The Aten. WinterHold 35 2837 June 10, 2023 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  [Quranic Reflection]: the sound of hell. WinterHold 13 1496 April 18, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  [Quranic reflection]: Homosexuality is nothing but Sexual Gratification. WinterHold 58 4327 March 27, 2023 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  [Quranic reflection]: hell is a black hole-part V, objects never leave hell. WinterHold 40 3132 January 5, 2023 at 11:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  [Quranic reflection]: hell is a black hole-part IV: the noodle effect. WinterHold 21 2148 November 25, 2022 at 11:25 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Quranic reflection]: What is time? WinterHold 13 1346 July 29, 2022 at 3:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Quranic reflection]: The Big Bang theory in the Quran. WinterHold 62 4402 June 14, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Quranic reflection]: hell is a black hole-part III WinterHold 71 4835 May 8, 2022 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: JairCrawford
  The Origins of the Universe king krish 62 4741 March 23, 2022 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate