Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God?
RE: What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God?
(December 10, 2020 at 1:27 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I'll give you a real world example from my own life.  If you searched catholic church in (insert my city here), you'll be directed to the diocese website.  The diocese website, on it's welcome page, offers an energy and carbon audit for households.  That's their in.  They're direct competitors with me in an ideological marketplace..but, in practice, we work together on this issue with some regularity.  I've paid my bills with catholic money.  

I farm St Peter's fish, after all..in the middle of a veritable fish (and food) desert.  If that's not one of gods miracles.......of mana falling from the sky..well, you tell me.

Now, there are explanations for this.  I live in a rural area and so the message about what should be which resonates here isn't the same message that resonates in NYC (although that;'s changing).  The catholic religion..here, officiialy, believes that the world should be more in tune with natural cycles and limitations.  That;s the litmus test for prospective new believers.  That;s the angle.  

That's a moral claim.  Now, I have questions;

Are they wrong that the would should be a certain way.  In this case, energy and carbon conscious.
Are they wrong about some jesus?

+and, for bonus points, I'm disappointed that you invoked moral realism and then immediately insisted that you didn't have the right answer to anything when challanged.  Either you believe in right answers or you don't - pick a lane. I have no problem telling people that my moral standards are universal and true, and you must believe as much to claim that others are not and are false.

This last is untrue, as stated in my last post, and false or not is what ensuing discussions and debates are to address and determine.

As to Jesus, of course they are wrong, as they see one Jesus when there are obviously more than one archetypal good man in the scriptures.

Christians tend to never quote or recognize the more esoteric shaman Jesus, who puts man above all the gods we have created.

If religions were concerned about our carbon footprint, they would sell off their energy gobbling churches and temples and get their paws out of the pockets of the more gullible of us.

Regards 
DL

Messages In This Thread
RE: What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? - by Greatest I am - December 10, 2020 at 1:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13225 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11515 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58494 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4496 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  why faith fails Drich 43 4385 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 23008 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37879 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 8612 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Does Pope Francis have a fantasy-prone personality disorder? Jehanne 117 16889 August 15, 2016 at 5:30 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Charged for "faith healing" over medical care Foxaèr 18 5073 October 16, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet