Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God?
RE: What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God?
(December 10, 2020 at 1:42 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: They could do better, I agree....but this agreement is premised on a course of universal right action

In a chaotic world and universe, a universal right action may not be possible.

Set and setting are always a factor. I read of a tribe where the women are expected to accept more than one husband and marry brothers. They think it moral while most would not, but if they did not do what they do, an overabundance of randy males would make everyone's life miserable in that tribe.  

I argue that there are no universal objective moral tenets. The best candidate to date has been empathy and I am waiting for an answer to an objection that I gave the other poster. I am on the fence till the reply pushes me one way or the other.

Regards
DL

(December 10, 2020 at 1:53 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Both 1Beating women is bad and 2Beating women is good are moral claims.  

They are claims on the moral nature of an act. This is what it means to say that christianity, as a religion, is united in a moral whole.

More like an immoral hole, given the macro moral/immoral policies they promote.

Regards
DL

(December 10, 2020 at 1:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 10, 2020 at 1:25 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: I do not see my morality as absolute. As a perpetual seeker of the best rules and laws to live by, I am always open to new and better ways. 

Most moral tenets are subjective, not objective. 

The religious homophobia and misogyny is demonstrably going against the Golden Rule that religions say they go by. That makes their ways immoral.

Christians and you here, disagree but cannot do apologetics to justify their position.

Regards
DL

If you don’t see your own moral tenets as absolute then you have no basis for calling anyone else’s tenets immoral.

I’m not a huge fan of the Golden Rule.

I’m not attempting to ‘justify’ anything at all, especially not the Christian views on women and homosexuals. What I’m trying to do is get you to understand that by making moral claims - even claims you and I disagree with vehemently - Christianity IS moral. Making moral claims is the only qualification required to be moral. It doesn’t even matter if those moral claims are justified or justifiable, just that they are made.

Boru

Making moral claims is the only qualification required to be moral.

That is B.S.

Satan makes moral claims.

If the Golden Rule is not your first moral tenet, as it is with the 70 odd % majority, what are your first few lead off moral tenets?

Regards
DL

Messages In This Thread
RE: What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? - by Greatest I am - December 10, 2020 at 3:44 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13209 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11504 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58494 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4469 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  why faith fails Drich 43 4385 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 23008 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37876 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Exclamation The blind trust can lead to faith theBorg 63 8602 August 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Does Pope Francis have a fantasy-prone personality disorder? Jehanne 117 16874 August 15, 2016 at 5:30 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Charged for "faith healing" over medical care Foxaèr 18 5071 October 16, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet