Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did you learn to do because of the pandemic?
RE: What did you learn to do because of the pandemic?
(June 15, 2021 at 11:02 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 15, 2021 at 8:34 am)Brian37 Wrote: Actually, I sincerely have to thank you. I just looked up the history of vaccines. I honestly did not know it went as far back as 1796. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox_v...ox%20virus.

But what is amazing comparing back then and now, is how did the medical community back then figure out how to inoculate people back then without the knowledge of DNA? I can only guess the primitive concept was to inject a small amount of the virus to create antibodies to fight it? It is the same tolerance motif with other things. Small doses of anything and your body builds up a tolerance or immunity. I simply didn't know how far back the history of vaccines went.

Actually, inoculation goes much further back than 1796, to the 10th century, IIRC.

As to how Jenner worked it out, it was largely by observation and inference. There’s a disease similar to, but much milder than smallpox, called ‘cowpox’. Jenner noticed that while many milkmaids got cowpox, none of them who had had it got smallpox. He hypothesized that having had cowpox conferred immunity against smallpox. He deliberately infected a boy with cowpox. When the child recovered, he deliberately infected the same boy with smallpox. He didn’t get sick.

Boru

Certainly observation has been the linchpin of the building blocks of the history that lead up to modern science. But modern science didn't exist at the time of Plato or Socrates, or the ancient Egyptians, despite their master building techniques of their respective periods. 10th century wouldn't be that much different. 

"Trial and error" has always existed for sure, be it medicine or engineering. But that does not mean those in the past were accurate in any modern sense. One can tinker and repeat and still not know why what they did was working.

Today's vaccines are literally based on DNA/RNA sequencing and not just injecting the virus like poison to build up immunity. It is like the difference between Franklin making a kite, and Boeing coming up with the next jumbo passenger jet.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? - by Brian37 - June 15, 2021 at 1:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1088 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Did you know? Ryn 2 323 July 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: weaponoffreedom
  Learn the true mersey Angrboda 7 474 March 18, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 720 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What Hobbies Did You Have As A Kid? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 2288 November 11, 2021 at 7:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2135 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  Pandemic survival diary. Gawdzilla Sama 85 3612 March 23, 2020 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Because I love cheese Losty 116 8874 November 27, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Did you "spring forward"? Gawdzilla Sama 44 2774 November 5, 2018 at 10:19 am
  I did it and you should too. Brian37 41 4075 August 25, 2018 at 7:24 pm