Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I did it and you should too.
I did it and you should too.
I'd been meaning to see a lawyer about a living will and will, and finally did that today. I did the DNR and donate my body to science. And have willed my property and finances to be split between my friend John and my younger sister Julie.

Nothing is wrong with me, but recent events and being 51 have made me do it. I don't want to leave a mess behind if something should happen.
RE: I did it and you should too.
My stepdad died unexpectedly about ten years back, mid 40's, complications of the flu.  I ended up executor of estate. Fucking mess for sure.  Handled my own will as soon as I was done with that.

Everyone who has anyone in their life should get it done, like..tomorrow. It's really easy, and really cheap.

Example of a mess.  I had him cremated and gave his ashes to my little sister, his oldest child.  Turns out he probably wouldn't have wanted that and his entire family hates me.  

Shoulda made a will, and included a provision for burial.  

He was co owner of some homes with my mother, in brick street neighborhoods, on Tampa Bay, catty corner to an elementary school..as per a divorce agreement.  How much of the proceeds of those sales do you think went to "his" side of the family? 

One went and I paid his back child support, to my mother..who promptly distributed that to we three children of that marriage (surprise, adopted..plus my two siblings). The other went to my little sister...they're about to sell, 50% goes to my moms, and the remaining 50% is split between me..my little sister, and his other daughter with another mother.

Womp womp. Don't let it be you.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 22, 2018 at 6:11 pm)Khemikal Wrote: My stepdad died unexpectedly about ten years back, mid 40's, complications of the flu.  I ended up executor of estate.  Fucking mess for sure.  Handled my own will as soon as I was done with that.

Everyone who has anyone in their life should get it done, like..tomorrow.  It's really easy, and really cheap.

Example of a mess.  I had him cremated and gave his ashes to my little sister, his oldest child.  Turns out he probably wouldn't have wanted that and his entire family hates me.  

Shoulda made a will, and included a provision for burial.  

He was co owner of some homes with my mother, in brick street neighborhoods, on Tampa Bay, catty corner to an elementary school..as per a divorce agreement.  How much of the proceeds of those sales do you think went to "his" side of the family? 

One went and I paid his back child support, to my mother..who promptly distributed that to we three children of that marriage (surprise, adopted..plus my two siblings).  The other went to my little sister...they're about to sell, 50% goes to my moms, and the remaining 50% is split between me..my little sister, and his other daughter with another mother.  

Womp womp.  Don't let it be you.

Cheap? Mine wasn't. $225 , but I did get 3 copies and an original no extra charge. 

Never hurts to have extras.
For Some Values of Cheap*  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Did mine 30 years ago, periodically updated ever since.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 22, 2018 at 6:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Did mine 30 years ago, periodically updated every now and then.

Boru

Didn't know you were that old. So what was it like to meet George Washington? Big Grin
After ages of procrastination, I finalised my will, living will, Financial and Medical Powers of Attorney, and arranged all the details, right down to the catering and music, and paid for my funeral early last year.  The whole batch of things cost around $A7,000, but I and my kids now have peace of mind that everything will be easily managed when I die.  It was actually something that I had worried about for years, and now it's done. I am much relieved.

Norm
(August 22, 2018 at 6:57 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 22, 2018 at 6:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Did mine 30 years ago, periodically updated every now and then.

Boru

Didn't know you were that old. So what was it like to meet George Washington? Big Grin

I'm 48.  I nearly died at 17, made my will and DNR as soon as I was legally able to do so (at 18).  Does that answer your question, fuckface?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 22, 2018 at 7:17 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 22, 2018 at 6:57 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Didn't know you were that old. So what was it like to meet George Washington? Big Grin

I'm 48.  I nearly died at 17, made my will and DNR as soon as I was legally able to do so (at 18).  Does that answer your question, fuckface?

Boru

You are younger than me. I will be 52 next month.

Hey man, come on, I was making a joke. I am old too. 

In all seriousness, all kidding aside, you did the right thing, even at 18. It never hurts to get those things down on paper just in case.
(August 22, 2018 at 7:30 pm)Brian37 Wrote: You are younger than me. I will be 52 next month.
My eldest daughter is nearly that age.

Norm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1004 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Did you know? Ryn 2 314 July 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: weaponoffreedom
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 669 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What Hobbies Did You Have As A Kid? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 2157 November 11, 2021 at 7:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  It' s never too late to start onlinebiker 2 398 October 18, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Spooky
  What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? arewethereyet 31 2015 June 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2082 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  Strangers are people too Godscreated 12 927 December 20, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Did you "spring forward"? Gawdzilla Sama 44 2670 November 5, 2018 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I’m too old for this shit! J a c k 42 2961 September 26, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama