Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I have some questions for the posters here.
RE: I have some questions for the posters here.
(June 22, 2021 at 12:14 pm)Frank Apisa Wrote: I joined this forum to ask some questions of people who use “atheist” as a descriptor (or part of a descriptor)…so, if I may, here goes.

First, a predicate:

My personal take on the question, “Are there any gods?” (which seems to be a subset of, “What is the true nature of the REALITY of existence?”) is:

I do not know if any "gods"** exist or not;

I see no reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST...that the existence of gods is impossible;

I see no reason to suspect that gods MUST EXIST...that gods are needed to explain existence;

I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction...

...so I don't.

**When I use the word "god" I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF THERE IS SUCH AN ENTITY."

A few preliminary questions:

Is there anyone here who asserts, “No gods exist?”

Is there anyone here who asserts that he/she KNOWS that no gods exist?

Is there anyone here who asserts that it is impossible for gods to exist?

The real question for me would be, why would a God be a requirement at all? 

I do assert Occam's razor, in that it is far more infinitely likely that humans make god/s up as a reflection of their own desires. 

It is absolutely true that humans can't know the future. But at the same time, we can discard bad claims. 

I am a flat out atheist as far as past and current claims of God/gods/deities made so far. I am an agnostic atheist "technically" as far as the future, but even then, I find it highly unlikely that there will be a super cognition found as an answer. Even then, the idea seems superfluous.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I have some questions for the posters here. - by Brian37 - June 22, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some questions about heaven and hell (for any believer) Dystopia 26 6116 June 17, 2015 at 4:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Can we have some more of this shit? Jackalope 22 3068 July 29, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Need some help here! TheGamingAtheist 15 2824 July 15, 2014 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Some questions that need to be answered therationalist 19 4792 April 8, 2014 at 9:21 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  I have a few questions to atheists, before I become one. IntelligentPlanet 66 11852 March 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more. Mr. Moncrieff 30 7104 March 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Theists, some questions TheBeardedDude 128 35565 January 31, 2014 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Tripwire
  some questions gufis253 31 10136 November 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  Does anyone here have any references orogenicman 19 5021 August 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: theVOID