Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more.
Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more.
Losing my religion, has meant losing the respect of a many number of colleagues, it would seem.

This last week was particularly onerous and melancholic for me. I have lost friends to ignorance and hostility, being unable to salvage any semblance of a former relationship. There were even some who verbally remonstrated with me in front of various others when in the staff room. The Headteacher and the board had obviously violated the terms of the agreement, but I was determined to preserve some semblance of dignity and so refused to enter into back and forth mud slinging.

There are many within my school who have isolated me, as though I were some kind of pariah. They are simply unable to reconcile my newly acquired beliefs with that of theirs and some have even ventured as far as to condemn me.

I have, much to my consternation and bitter disappointment, learned a great many things about who my true friends have been; were and are.

This fortnight will have been one of the most volatile and unpredictable of my entire life, but still I emerge as a better person as I have learned a great deal about my resilience; my determination and my ultimate ambition to preserve the integrity of my principles.

It should go without saying that THIS community has sustained me throughout some of the most traumatic and life-altering weeks of my life thus far.

I am always grateful for the love, the support and the advice that I have received here and I will forever be indebted to a community of like-minded people who embraced me and gave me the confidence to be the person I have always wanted to be.

You have given me my pride.

You have given me my integrity.

You have given me my respect.

You are an astonishing group of people.

I thank you with all my heart - as do my wife and children. We are indebted to you. We love you.

Worship
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
RE: Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more.
I think it's pretty clear that you have mountains of integrity all on your own. Smile
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
You've made yourself an excellent part of the community and have dealt with huge changes to your life with wit and grace.

I salute you (or wave a crumpet at you, if you prefer).
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 4, 2014 at 6:59 pm)Beccs Wrote: You've made yourself an excellent part of the community and have dealt with huge changes to your life with wit and grace.

I salute you (or wave a crumpet at you, if you prefer).

I'm waving my crumpet back...

She sends her regards.

Wink
[Image: 1975273_464003380394170_558381318_n.jpg]
(March 4, 2014 at 7:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: 1975273_464003380394170_558381318_n.jpg]

You big pussy.
Just out of interest and no need to answer if you feel you can't, but did any colleagues stay neutral or support you? And do you sense any other closet Atheists?

Congratulations.
Mr Moncrieff, kneel...

And rise Sir Moncrieff!

Losing faith in christianity has been particularly hard on you... and you passed all the troubles and tribulations with flying colors.

May I wager that your wife had a little finger in your recent faith loss?
(March 4, 2014 at 7:28 pm)pocaracas Wrote: Mr Moncrieff, kneel...

And rise Sir Moncrieff!

Losing faith in christianity has been particularly hard on you... and you passed all the troubles and tribulations with flying colors.

May I wager that your wife had a little finger in your recent faith loss?

Indeed I had some support from colleagues, but many remained silent, lest they be condemned to the pit of abhorrence.

My wife has played a monumental part in my progression and she is my pure inspiration. Always will be.
My best friend, my exciting lover and my consistent rock.
(March 4, 2014 at 6:34 pm)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: Losing my religion, has meant losing the respect of a many number of colleagues, it would seem.

This last week was particularly onerous and melancholic for me. I have lost friends to ignorance and hostility, being unable to salvage any semblance of a former relationship. There were even some who verbally remonstrated with me in front of various others when in the staff room. The Headteacher and the board had obviously violated the terms of the agreement, but I was determined to preserve some semblance of dignity and so refused to enter into back and forth mud slinging.

There are many within my school who have isolated me, as though I were some kind of pariah. They are simply unable to reconcile my newly acquired beliefs with that of theirs and some have even ventured as far as to condemn me.

I have, much to my consternation and bitter disappointment, learned a great many things about who my true friends have been; were and are.

This fortnight will have been one of the most volatile and unpredictable of my entire life, but still I emerge as a better person as I have learned a great deal about my resilience; my determination and my ultimate ambition to preserve the integrity of my principles.

It should go without saying that THIS community has sustained me throughout some of the most traumatic and life-altering weeks of my life thus far.

I am always grateful for the love, the support and the advice that I have received here and I will forever be indebted to a community of like-minded people who embraced me and gave me the confidence to be the person I have always wanted to be.

You have given me my pride.

You have given me my integrity.

You have given me my respect.

You are an astonishing group of people.

I thank you with all my heart - as do my wife and children. We are indebted to you. We love you.

Worship

Aww, but they were showing you such Christian love? lol Didn't you feel it?

I'm happy you shared this, and you are on your way to living authentically. If a god exists, I believe that's what he/it would want, anyway. Not people fighting and ostracizing people on ''his behalf.''

I too had a falling out with a friend, recently. She told me should could no longer be my friend, as if this 'change' in me happened over night? I've been on this path of sorts, for a while, now.

But, these people were never your friends. Friends with conditions, aren't friends at all.

The road will continue to get a little harder, before it gets easier. It isn't easy to ''lose one's religion.'' But, you didn't lose anything, you gained ...your life.

Hang in there, everything is as it should be. :=)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 136 5586 February 12, 2024 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Goosebump
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 38723 November 16, 2016 at 4:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Do you think you'd still be a believer if the bible were more pleasant/accurate? Cecelia 53 7023 May 17, 2016 at 11:11 am
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1786 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  True Origins of Man - Ascent to Dominance much more complicated than the bible's tale bussta33 1 1173 December 20, 2015 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Can we have some more of this shit? Jackalope 22 3068 July 29, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Thank God for Atheist Forums! The Reality Salesman01 35 11379 June 3, 2013 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  End all Suffering now? you have the power. Mark 13:13 46 14171 January 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why do you think atheists pay so much attention to religion? Judas BentHer 63 24428 June 2, 2012 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Heart Please participate in my experiment. Thank you Hunter9035 138 52477 March 18, 2012 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Phil