Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I have some questions for the posters here.
RE: I have some questions for the posters here.
Quote:The universe does not require a prime mover. I agree. But there might be one or more anyway...no matter that we agree it is not a requirement.

The universe has laws...and no gods are required. But there might be one or more anyway...no matter that we agree it is not a requirement.

The "god loves you" bullshit sickens me. But there might be a god anyway.

I also do not "believe" any gods exist...just as I do not "believe" there are no gods.

Here are two different ways of describing the difference between atheist and agnostic.

1) Agnostic/Gnostic refers to whether the existence of gods are personally known, or can in general be known. Theist/Atheist refers to belief/lack-of-belief in gods.

One is a question about knowledge, the other is belief. I am an agnostic atheist. I do not think that the question of gods/no-gods can be proven either way, but I don't believe in any of the them. As for unknown gods - Why would I believe in what I can't define or know?

Some are gnostic atheists, who believe that the existence of gods is both knowable (should they exist), and such beings have failed the tests for existence (based on the standard definitions of gods, and the evidence in our possession).

2) There is a sliding scale of belief (as per Dawkins) where at one end is a belief that God almost certainly exists, at the other is a belief that gods almost certainly do not exist, and somewhere in between describes most people. This does not distinguish between knowledge and belief, and I therefore find it less useful.

The single term "agnostic" for describing one's belief is not useful, IMO. If you are describing belief, are you really half-way in between believing and non-believing? If you are describing knowledge (that we can't know either way), then you are saying nothing about your belief. Does an agnostic pray to every deity, just in case? Of course not. Does an agnostic worry that they are going to hell? I hope not. Saying "I don't know" is really telling us nothing about how you interact in your life with the god concept.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I have some questions for the posters here. - by HappySkeptic - June 23, 2021 at 4:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some questions about heaven and hell (for any believer) Dystopia 26 6116 June 17, 2015 at 4:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Can we have some more of this shit? Jackalope 22 3068 July 29, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Need some help here! TheGamingAtheist 15 2824 July 15, 2014 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Some questions that need to be answered therationalist 19 4791 April 8, 2014 at 9:21 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  I have a few questions to atheists, before I become one. IntelligentPlanet 66 11852 March 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more. Mr. Moncrieff 30 7104 March 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Theists, some questions TheBeardedDude 128 35565 January 31, 2014 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Tripwire
  some questions gufis253 31 10135 November 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  Does anyone here have any references orogenicman 19 5020 August 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: theVOID