Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you.
RE: The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you.
(September 20, 2021 at 1:13 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(September 20, 2021 at 1:03 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Hope of redemption from evil Seems pretty clear to me even if the message appears to be built over a framework of oral story telling and likely incorporates cultural memory of pre-historic tragedy.

Could you flesh that out a little bit?

What seems clear to you as a believer isn't quite so clear to me.

<movie promo voice> "In a world filled with bloodshed and violence....one righteous man...inspired by God...endures years of hardship and delivers his family and innocent animals through disaster and into God's favor."

Depending on which trailer you watch, it either ends with a rainbow (the children's version) or in vineyard (the darker, grittier version).

Also, I concede that like all mythological tales Noah's ark, Adam & Eve, etc. had indeed been widely considered, even by educated people as "how it happened." At the same time, I imagine that's mostly by default since there were not really any competing accounts. Of course early explorers were eager to learn if the old stories were true scientifically and they quickly learned that they weren't. Good. Now interested people can focus on the moral of the story and not memorable particulars.

(September 21, 2021 at 12:01 pm)Ten Wrote:
(September 21, 2021 at 10:47 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: In the region of half of American take the Noah's Ark story literally (it was around 60% in 2004, so progress). But let's pretend it's a fringe belief that skeptics shouldn't even bother to address, else they'll be considered to be trolling.

The 2004 poll:

https://abcnews.go.com/images/pdf/947a1V...eBible.pdf

It's just not very interesting to shut down because it IS so ridiculous, and it has some disturbing things to say about the character of God. It's one of those things where if I engage with a theist on it and we can't even get past "This story proves that your god is an immoral tyrant because drowning everyone is how he deals with disobedience; he'd rather everyone be dead and start the earth project over than allow people to have their agency and disobey him." if they're defending the story as an example of god being just and good to his creations, his children, then the "proof" parts of shutting the story down are not really going to matter. It's a story believed not because the believers are really good skeptics with a mind for scientific thinking; it's emotion.

Personally, I consider complex character motivations and challenging incongruities features that make a text more interesting and allow for multiple perspectives, your own included.
<insert profound quote here>

Messages In This Thread
RE: The story of Noah' s Ark - or - God is dumber than you. - by Neo-Scholastic - September 21, 2021 at 4:51 pm
Hey Ricky, your so fine, your logic blows my mind. - by Brian37 - September 20, 2021 at 5:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Get your story straight LinuxGal 1 957 November 29, 2022 at 5:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Aiders of the Lost Ark LinuxGal 1 755 November 26, 2022 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] The Story John 6IX Breezy 115 9896 November 21, 2022 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What do Catholics think of Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" story? Woah0 2 626 August 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The ridiculous story of the temptation of Jesus Simon Moon 24 2598 March 4, 2021 at 6:05 am
Last Post: GUBU
  angel story video form Drich 107 10323 April 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Drich
  The Jesus story has details that is most definitely made up i just realized!!! android17ak47 126 9140 October 12, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  A question about the crew and passengers on the Ark. Gawdzilla Sama 68 6939 September 16, 2018 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8126 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Questions about noah ark king krish 210 47913 April 8, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger