Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 2:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
(December 3, 2011 at 9:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Even if one gave Lucent his favorite definition of atheism, it would still be possible to be an atheist with regards to his god. His favorite narrative has been utterly destroyed by evidence at every conceivable level. If the god he wishes to argue for is the christian god, sourced wholly from this narrative, then it does not exist, and that's not a belief, that's a fact. His god, his book, and his beliefs (as well as his inane ramblings about science) are all demonstrably full of shit.

Unless God is malevolent. If that be the case he planned on that bible to be the way it is, along with all the other religions. Its like a metaphysical cluster fuck when you mention comparative religions of the world.

...not to mention all the nasties out there in the wild..God would have created them nasty boogers as well...

...and the viruses and diseases. Jehovah intelligently designed the bacteria flagellum so that it can infiltrate the body of an innocent little gril and give her all kinds of fucked up diseases...

...and tyranical government. Jehovah obviously likes the political Muslim world, otherwise it would not exist. Freewill be damned, if I set a snake in my 3 month old infants room and tell him "stay away from him or you may get hurt and die" then I'm not giving a shit about freewill. That is merely a comparison of father (human) and son (human) unlike what it would really be equated to in this example as Mortal and infinitely powerful god. God is mysterious, and we will never know why he designed AIDS to be such an efficient killer....
(December 4, 2011 at 1:35 am)Rhythm Wrote: The fire and the ice closing hands, or Ask and Embla btw Rev? Both good creation narratives. Ask and Embla is a mix of discovery and creation, in the truest sense, as the brothers made us from trees which they came across on a walk. At least the Edda acknowledges that it would take more than one mind to create something quite as complex as a human being, if we were created by a mind at all. It's amusing though, that there is a religious narrative that essentially states "we come from the trees"... Well, you clever bastards...how did you figure that out...lol?

I was going to use that argument as "pre-scientific knowledge" that makes the Eddas a true profit and divinely inspired if Lucid would have allowed me to argue Asatru

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - by reverendjeremiah - December 4, 2011 at 2:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27219 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5976 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Definition of "atheism" Pyrrho 23 8867 November 19, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Ludwig
  A practical definition for "God" robvalue 48 15909 September 26, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12542 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12175 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Definition of Atheism MindForgedManacle 55 14413 July 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Poetry, Philosophy, or Science? Mudhammam 0 1188 March 22, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10517 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  My definition of being an atheist. Vegamo 14 5129 January 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: truthBtold