Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My definition of being an atheist.
My definition of being an atheist.
No body ever wakes up one day and becomes an atheist. Especially someone who used to be very religious in his/her past.

It takes great amount of thinking and energy to understand the world from a different perspective.

Atheist's don't know the answers, we just know religion and society's definition of "God" was man made.

It's a mystery that we uncover every day with science, and it is what keeps us focused on bigger things than politics and war. Because no matter how you look at it, religion will always tie with politics.

There you have it, it's an over whelming feeling of wonder that keeps you on your toes no matter how many years pass by, it's knowing something is out there, and we are going to find it.

Compare this to a religious person who lives every day of his life contained in a gray area of faith that he doesn't know how to get out of, and tries to focus his energy on day to day tasks.
RE: My definition of being an atheist.
(January 18, 2014 at 4:15 pm)Vegamo Wrote: It's a mystery that we uncover every day with science

You will need to hold a belief that the answer is scientifically answerable as a part the natural universe to begin with. This is a belief in something you don't and can't know much the same as a belief in God would be.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
Oh great, another post where one decides to represent all.
(January 18, 2014 at 4:22 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Oh great, another post where one decides to represent all.

"My Definition" is the title after all, "Multi-verse" isn't even a theory to me, and no this isn't about god might exist idea, What if we are an alien project?
Quote:No body ever wakes up one day and becomes an atheist.

Is your first line...
(January 18, 2014 at 4:25 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
Quote:No body ever wakes up one day and becomes an atheist.

Is your first line...

Or maybe it might mean "Becoming an atheist isn't a random decision, it takes rational thinking and time"
(January 18, 2014 at 4:27 pm)Vegamo Wrote: Or maybe it might mean "Becoming an atheist isn't a random decision, it takes rational thinking and time"

Still not true. I for example was never a believer. My parents never talked about God so I was indifferent to religion ever since I can remember. It required no thinking or time for me.
(January 18, 2014 at 5:19 pm)Insanity Wrote:
(January 18, 2014 at 4:27 pm)Vegamo Wrote: Or maybe it might mean "Becoming an atheist isn't a random decision, it takes rational thinking and time"

Still not true. I for example was never a believer. My parents never talked about God so I was indifferent to religion ever since I can remember. It required no thinking or time for me.

Me too. Raised in a secular household. God just didn't come up.

I've only ever seen religion from the outside, and seen from the outside it just looks... silly.
(January 18, 2014 at 4:15 pm)Vegamo Wrote: No body ever wakes up one day and becomes an atheist. Especially someone who used to be very religious in his/her past.

It takes great amount of thinking and energy to understand the world from a different perspective.

Atheist's don't know the answers, we just know religion and society's definition of "God" was man made.

It's a mystery that we uncover every day with science, and it is what keeps us focused on bigger things than politics and war. Because no matter how you look at it, religion will always tie with politics.

There you have it, it's an over whelming feeling of wonder that keeps you on your toes no matter how many years pass by, it's knowing something is out there, and we are going to find it.

Compare this to a religious person who lives every day of his life contained in a gray area of faith that he doesn't know how to get out of, and tries to focus his energy on day to day tasks.

Umm...where's the definition?

For the record, I'm an atheist, and I'm VERY tied in with politics. Always have been.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 18, 2014 at 4:15 pm)Vegamo Wrote: No body ever wakes up one day and becomes an atheist. Especially someone who used to be very religious in his/her past.

I don't agree with some of this but this is really nice and I agree wholeheartedly with it:

"It's a mystery that we uncover every day with science, and it is what keeps us focused on bigger things than politics and war. Because no matter how you look at it, religion will always tie with politics."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35348 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 6818 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8639 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6629 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 7806 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7034 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27687 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Being atheist in the Bible Belt MyelinSheath 37 8923 January 23, 2017 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5896 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Being a sinner just for being born mlmooney89 110 15516 June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger