Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
(December 5, 2011 at 3:58 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote:
(December 5, 2011 at 2:26 pm)lucent Wrote: You obviously don't know what macroevolution is if you think it is a "fundy concept". That just shows further shows your ignorance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroevolution

And my post is original, because I lifted it off myself. I didn't steal anything, those are my own words.

Did you read the article? Biologists have not used this terminology for over 60 years. Posting that a scientist use the term in 1927 is only a statement of fact, not a statement of modern relevance.

If you wish for me to extend modern relevance to Christianity, then you MUST extend modern relevancy to Biology... and by bringing up "macro evolution" you are saying "You will discuss modern Christianity with me, but I will insist that Biology be discussed era 1940's"

This is why they use "allele frequencies" now. If you actually withheld your judgements and read this material, and let the evidence determine the answer, then you would understand the basic mechanism of Natural selection.

By suggesting that "micro evolution" works, but not "macro evolution" is the same as saying "Evolution is a fact". It is also the same as saying "Sure, a person can walk a mile, but walking 100 miles is impossible" or "Sure, someone can change a little bit, but all of those little changes do not make big changes to someone over a long length of time. that person is still basically the same"

Now, I am sure you feel all superior and everyothing, flaunting your pre made words here and there, but nothing you are doing or saying is convincing me.

If you want to convince me, then get your work published in a scientific publication, and let it run the gauntlet. If your science holds up and it passes the gauntlet, then, and ONLY then, will I take you as anything more than just a troll.

Jeremiah, this is getting sad. First you called macroevolution a fundy concept. Now you're saying it is outdated. How about you actually do some research and figure out what you're talking about before your correct me? Macroevolution is still in use today:

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/ev...tion.shtml

"An historic conference..The central question of the Chicago conference was whether the mechanisms underlying micro-evolution can be extrapolated to explain the phenomena of macroevolution...the answer can be given as a clear, No.

Francisco Ayala, major figure in propounding the Modern Synthesis in the United States said: 'small changes do not accumulate'"

Science
v.210 11/21/80
3/12/94

There is no proof of one species changing into another. Your store is an infinite amount of miles away because it has never once been observed happening. There are natural limits to the change within species. This is why you won't find any one inch horses or 50 foot tall gerbils. They have been breeding fruit flies for thousands and thousands of generations and have never produced a non-fruit fly. They have millions of generations of bacteria and have never produced another kind of bacteria. In fact, they have found blue green bacteria (supposedly) over a billion years old and it is exactly the same as we find today. That alone should tell you that macroevolution is a fairy tale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9wmQP7SdM

Allele frequencies refers to gene frequencies:

Allele frequency or Gene frequency is the proportion of all copies of a gene that is made up of a particular gene variant (allele). In other words, it is the number of copies of a particular allele divided by the number of copies of all alleles at the genetic place (locus) in a population. It can be expressed for example as a percentage. In population genetics, allele frequencies are used to depict the amount of genetic diversity at the individual, population, and species level. It is also the relative proportion of all alleles of a gene that are of a designated type.

And micro and macro evolution refers to changes in gene frequencies, either within a population or above the species level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroevolution

Macroevolution is evolution on a scale of separated gene pools.[1] Macroevolutionary studies focus on change that occurs at or above the level of species, in contrast with microevolution,[2] which refers to smaller evolutionary changes (typically described as changes in allele frequencies) within a species or population.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microevolution

Microevolution is the changes in allele frequencies that occur over time within a population.[1] This change is due to four different processes: mutation, selection (natural and artificial), gene flow, and genetic drift.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - by lucent - December 5, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27218 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5974 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Definition of "atheism" Pyrrho 23 8867 November 19, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Ludwig
  A practical definition for "God" robvalue 48 15909 September 26, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12542 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12175 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Definition of Atheism MindForgedManacle 55 14413 July 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Poetry, Philosophy, or Science? Mudhammam 0 1188 March 22, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10517 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  My definition of being an atheist. Vegamo 14 5129 January 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: truthBtold