Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 10:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
(November 29, 2013 at 5:56 pm)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: houseofcantor
Theism and atheism are not merely about "belief" in God, because then theism and atheism are essentially about whether someone practices a religious faith or not, rather than about whether a deity does or doesn't exist. If we're talking to atheists about their "belief" in God rather than "the existence of" God then the conversation ends quickly- there is no belief, end of story. But this "lack of belief" extends not only to atheists but to agnostics, deists, some broad pantheists, some Buddhists and even some nominally religious people. Ie, someone can be a fundamentalist evangelical Christian atheist.

That should tip you off that houseofcantor's reasoning has gone off the deep end. But wait, there's more! Not only does houseofcantor's reasoning allow for the silliness that is fundamentalist evangelical Christian atheists, but it also voids a well-accepted term already in use that already does the job houseofcantor wants atheism to do. That term is "irreligious." The irreligious do not have any beliefs in Gods, whether or not they believe such deities exist.

So not only is your attempt a necessary precursor to much silliness, but it also requires a wholesale readjustment of well-established norms of the English language, like an atheist miracle whereby you steal the meaning of irreligious and apply it to atheism without anyone noticing.

One is forced to ask why you are so desperate to relabel atheism? What's the real reason you're so desperate to make such silly arguments to preserve your ridiculous redefinition?

Esquilax
Someone is wrong on the internet.jpg

Although, to be fair, I'm curious as to whether there are atheists who think critically about their own views and beliefs. In a way, I'm testing the hypothesis that atheists are just as irrational, if not more so, than theists.

I wouldn't say atheists are winning, because there really are some kooky theists I've talked to. But it looks pretty close if we're going by this forum.

Ben Davis
Imagine if Deepak Chopra tried to correct you. Would you accept what he says, or ask him to provide citations? Now imagine you are saying something as kooky as Deepak Chopra, trying to convince me that words mean what you declare that they mean.

PS-
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionar...1385761866

athe·ist noun \ˈā-thē-ist\
: a person who believes that God does not exist

Looks like you need to have another talk with Mirriom-Wibstar Docktianery

Optimistic Mysanthrope

Yes, silly you.
And why can't you let athiests use the term the way they prefer to define it?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - by Lemonvariable72 - November 29, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27217 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5973 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Definition of "atheism" Pyrrho 23 8867 November 19, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Ludwig
  A practical definition for "God" robvalue 48 15909 September 26, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12542 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12175 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Definition of Atheism MindForgedManacle 55 14413 July 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Poetry, Philosophy, or Science? Mudhammam 0 1188 March 22, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10517 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  My definition of being an atheist. Vegamo 14 5129 January 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: truthBtold