Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whose view of the O T is authoritative? Jewry or Christianity?

In reading and discussing the O T, I have noted that the Jewish view is in some cases completely opposite of what the Christian view is.
I E. The Jews see Eden as man’s elevation to a moral sense, while Christians see Eden as man’s fall. Jews do not recognize original sin while Christians do.

Jews also do not read the O T as literal and historic while Christians do.

Whose interpretation should hold precedence? The Jewish view or the Christian one?

When Christianity usurped the Jewish God, should they have also usurped their interpretations as well, instead of reversing them?

Regards
DL
The important thing to remember is that the purpose of religion is to keep the populace subservient and submissive. In that light christianity is more authoritative since it makes people feel guilty just for being alive. Think of humanity being born into sin, you're fucked from the start.
And people that have the mindset that they should be forever begging for divine forgiveness are so much easier to control and manipulate.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
RE: Whose view of the O T is authoritative? Jewry or Christianity?
I thought Jews were the one who built up an entire philisophical way of thinking based upon guilt?
Also, isn't it Catholics who ascribe to "original sin?"
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
I suspect that both are wrong.
It depends on which one you ask..and which sect...and which country the sect lives in....and what extra community that sect lives in...and whatever splits or branches may have come about from those branches.

...just sayin...

Shitfan
(January 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: I thought Jews were the one who built up an entire philisophical way of thinking based upon guilt?
Also, isn't it Catholics who ascribe to "original sin?"

Catholics are Christians. Most Protestant sects have original sin as part of their doctrine as well, whether they call it something else or not.

(January 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: The important thing to remember is that the purpose of religion is to keep the populace subservient and submissive. In that light christianity is more authoritative since it makes people feel guilty just for being alive. Think of humanity being born into sin, you're fucked from the start.
And people that have the mindset that they should be forever begging for divine forgiveness are so much easier to control and manipulate.

You forgot----and get $$$$$$$ out of.

Regards
DL
Quote:
(January 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: I thought Jews were the one who built up an entire philisophical way of thinking based upon guilt?

Not that I know of. No guilt in man's elevation, only in his fall.

Quote:Also, isn't it Catholics who ascribe to "original sin?"

Yes. There is the guilt we are talking about.

Regards
DL
(January 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I suspect that both are wrong.

Jews see Eden as a myth and in that sense there is no right way or wrong way of seeing it.

Christians are inflexible and to them it was definitely wrong for man to become as Gods even as scriptures urge us to be just as perfect as God is.
How that can be done without the knowledge of good and evil is never laid out or explained.

Regards
DL
(January 1, 2012 at 9:11 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: It depends on which one you ask..and which sect...and which country the sect lives in....and what extra community that sect lives in...and whatever splits or branches may have come about from those branches.

...just sayin...

Shitfan

And well said.

Regards
DL
Quote:Whose view of the O T is authoritative? Jewry or Christianity?

I don't understand the question. The OT is no more than the mythology of a minor tribe of bronze age goat herders.The Torah was not even written down until ca seventh century bce.. I can't see that different versions make any material difference ALL are copies--of-copies- of- copies going back centuries.

The oldest copy of the OT still extant dates from 900 CE;the result of over 1000 years of repeated copying, by hand.
TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote:isn't it Catholics who ascribe to "original sin?"

well many denominations believe that. the whole thing is that "everyone is a sinner by nature and by choice."

the difference between the 2 is that christians believe Jesus was the masiah who brought salvation to the world and Jews do not. also note christianity doesn't take anything away from the jewish faith, it just adds on. hygene laws are replaced with up to date hygene methods, and the sabbath is not as closely followed by christians (if followed at all) but all the laws still apply. notice Jesus added onto the laws by saying things like it is said do not murder but i say unto you if you hate your brother (means neighbor) you have already committed murder.
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

-4th verse of the american national anthem
I learned a new word today. 'Jewry'
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My dad doesn't view Christianity as superior Der/die AtheistIn 0 652 November 10, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  My view of theism - theism analogous to belief in extra terrestrials joseph_ 4 1248 August 30, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Jarrey
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6819 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  One Agnostic's View of the New Atheists Randy Carson 68 9069 September 27, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8513 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18329 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Skeptics view of Genesis themonkeyman 53 18500 August 24, 2013 at 9:28 am
Last Post: ThomM
  The year of whose lord? Erinome 73 23878 July 25, 2012 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Annik
  Whose facts are more out of whack Science OR the Bible? Castle 43 14899 July 12, 2011 at 12:20 am
Last Post: Castle