Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police raid on 3 (arch) dioceses
Police raid on 3 (arch) dioceses
The Belgian police today raided 3 (arch) dioceses and performed house searches at individual cleric's domiciles (read: high church officials like (arch)bishops). Probably to find compromising materials and church archives on child abuse.
The jury is still out on what they found, but apparently there were pressing reasons to instigate these raids!

The consensus is that this was to find evidence of decades long child abuse in the Belgian RC church which is clearly suspected of hiding such evidence.

The plot is thickening! How much longer before we see (arch) bishops formally in the dock? And why do it country by country? Why not haul the entire Vatican – the pope and all 120 cardinals – into the ICC, the International Criminal Court? Many ex-dictators already paved the way for them!
After that the individual countries can take care of their bishops and other guilty church officials. But we need to start by cutting off the snake's head.
And after that it's the officials of other churches' turn! And mosques, and temples! Let's not forget them!

Original article in Dutch.

Babelfish translation in 'English'.
RE: Police raid on 3 (arch) dioceses
(January 16, 2012 at 12:28 pm)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: Why not haul the entire Vatican – the pope and all 120 cardinals – into the ICC, the International Criminal Court??

Can I get an amen brotha!!!! Good for Belgium!
~*~Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does ~*~

~*~Live a good life. If there are Gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are Gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no Gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones - Marcus Aurelius~*~
I want to see the pope doing a perp walk.
YES!!! I was hoping the northern Europeans would start to fight back.

They should have invaded a few mosques while they were at it...best keep a SHARP eye on them theorcatic psychos as well. Let them know that baby raping and terrorism will not be tolerated.
Hopefuly they didn't raid by mistake. That would look very bad for all of us.

I can see the headlines now: "Godless State Arrests Clergy- Church Officials Say "It's like the Holocaust again."

But yay to Belgium for doing the right thing and treating the clergy no differently than they would treat any of us given incriminating evidence.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Honestly I've thought that officials were only doing two things about this (jack and shit) so this is a MAJOR improvement over that.
Of course, I'm sure we'd all like to see more done, but let's take things one step at a time here.

On a seporate but related note, at least when some of these bishops go to the ol' pokey, they'll finally get what they wanted anyway... more or less given that they can't marry when they have their 'freedom.'

So..... turns out they will be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nzKw-XIxw
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
(January 16, 2012 at 5:09 pm)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: when some of these bishops go to the ol' pokey, they'll finally get what they wanted anyway

I doubt they wanted to be, literally, on the receiving end, Darkest! Cool Shades
(January 16, 2012 at 12:28 pm)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: The plot is thickening! How much longer before we see (arch) bishops formally in the dock? And why do it country by country? Why not haul the entire Vatican – the pope and all 120 cardinals – into the ICC, the International Criminal Court? Many ex-dictators already paved the way for them!
I wonder if they're actually going to do something; if they actually have plans to go further, I'd like to see how the Church is going to react: Are they going to find it in themselves to reform so that future generations can consider this era to be another dark age for them? Or will this become the last stand of the Church?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Oh PLEASE let it be a 'Last Stand'
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 16, 2012 at 9:11 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Oh PLEASE let it be a 'Last Stand'

There's a part of me that wants to see them try to do a significant amount of damage control to ensure that this sort of shit never happens again (maybe something like permanently defrocking any paedophile priests and handing them over to the authorities immediately); after all, my old church, after I left, wound up sheltering an elder who turned out to be a pedophile (they're Lutherans, BTW). That said, I know how conservative the Church tends to be, and I know how they've handled the molestation crisis in the past ten years, I can't see anything like that ending well.

Of course, something tells me that they probably won't go much further.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5226 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  "Abused" Arch Bishop ready to "forgive" KichigaiNeko 10 3076 September 13, 2011 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  £10,000 grant for Christian police who believe prayer can cut crime. leo-rcc 5 2123 February 2, 2010 at 9:21 am
Last Post: Dotard