Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hey give suggestions if ud like:3
hey give suggestions if ud like:3
i turned athiest about a year ago (im 15) when my step mom talked to me about her religion and how she wanted my idea on how my dad would react to her being that way. i used to be the christian that would shake in fear of being sent to hell after death and now im not afraid at allTongue ur probly wondering why i put "give suggestions if ud like" in the subject. well its because i havent told my christian parents im athiest yet and i need ur suggestions on how i could. ive tried and all i can get out is "mom i don........" and then say nevermind:/ i really would like some suggestions on easy ways to tell them....
RE: hey give suggestions if ud like:3
Honestly, I just wouldn't. Teenage years are hard enough.

There was a particularly devout fundamentalist xtian I encountered on another forum who, as time went on, expressed doubts about his faith that slowly but surely developed into full atheism. He too was nervous about coming out to his parents. I remember when he reported finally biting the bullet and breaking the news, terrified at the possible reaction; at which point his mum, with the infinite understanding typical of the mother species, said that she knew there was something brewing and that she thought he was going to tell her he was gay like his brother. Not saying that this will work for you, it's just to illustrate that quite often things aren't as bad as we fear them to be.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(January 25, 2012 at 12:17 am)aleialoura Wrote: Honestly, I just wouldn't. Teenage years are hard enough.

This. Even if you're not as weird as I am, and end up being the most boring normal redneck in hicktown: telling your parents anything (esp. if they are conservative) that they don't expect will cause drama.

And drama is bad. Unless you are a llama. Wearing a hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-vsynsE8RQ
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(January 25, 2012 at 12:17 am)aleialoura Wrote: Honestly, I just wouldn't. Teenage years are hard enough.

This. I don't know where you are, but if you are in the US then you have like 3 years until you are legally considered an adult. I went through the same thing that it sounds like you are going through. My parents went from being hippies when I was really young, to liberals as I got older, and then flipped to evangelicals when I was like 14 or 15. Sundays went from sleeping in or occasionally going to a Baptist church with Grandma to getting up at 6 to be at the church as a family by 8 for Sunday School and fire and brimstone service. Telling my parents that I didn't believe simply wasn't an option for me (also, my dad was fairly horrible). So I found aspects of the religion that I could enjoy and threw myself into those for appearances' sake. For me, it was music and acting in the productions. I started hanging out around the bikers. Any chance I got, I volunteered for the daycare so that I wouldn't have to sit through church. Things like that. And then, when I was 18, I started living my own life and extricated myself from the whole mess.

There are a couple of other things that happened to me related to the church, and I'll be typing all of that up by way of introduction later, but the gist of this post is:

tl;dr do whatever it takes to keep the peace at home. Find something that you can enjoy even in the churchy context that keeps the appearance of also being churchy yourself. Distance yourself from the whole mess over time.
Keep quiet and have fun with us.
We won't make you do anything.
But still you will have to be ready,
for the how & why you think that.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
I have to agree with the others here. If your parents aren't pushing you to go to church every Sunday, then I'd just keep quiet about it. Once you get out on your own maybe you can tell them if the subject comes up. If they do make you go to church, then it might be easier to just pretend to go along with it as long as it's not one of those crazy, fanatical, rolling-on-the-floor churches.

I'm curious what you mean when you say "my step mom talked to me about her religion and how she wanted my idea on how my dad would react to her being that way." Is your dad an atheist? Is he a different religion from your mother, and perhaps unaware of it?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(January 25, 2012 at 10:52 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I have to agree with the others here. If your parents aren't pushing you to go to church every Sunday, then I'd just keep quiet about it. Once you get out on your own maybe you can tell them if the subject comes up. If they do make you go to church, then it might be easier to just pretend to go along with it as long as it's not one of those crazy, fanatical, rolling-on-the-floor churches.

On this I, respectfully, disagree. It's often better to just pretend if they are pushing you to go to church, and especially so if its a crazy, fanatical, rolling-on-the-floor church. The people who attend those are often (not always, generalizations are bad) the ones who judge other denominations as lacking and pull the "not-a-true-christian" card. Coming out as an atheist to one of those types will often make you a target for more aggressive witnessing and occasionally one-on-one sessions with a brain-was-errr...I mean counselor in order to determine why your faith is weak and shore it up.

If they aren't forcing you to go, and/or the church is much more laid back then it really isn't something that needs to be discussed often.
I didn't mean to imply that he should come out as an atheist to crazy fundies. What I meant was that if his parents are forcing him to go to a crazy fundie church, best to keep quiet about his atheism. As aliealoura said, the teenage years are hard enough.

But if his parents aren't fanatical about his going to church and aren't pushing him, why make waves by coming out as an atheist? Unless, of course, he gets some indication that they might be OK with it. That's kind of why I'm curious about his mother asking him what his dad would think about her religion.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
im probably just gonna tell them after graduation.... my dads a ignorant rolling on the floor christian and would probably attack(physically and mentally) me telling me i better go back to christian or else >.> my step mom is same as me now. Athiestic Raelian but neither of us have told him...my dads the only one that makes me go to church and then he sits there amd makes fun of the way others sing or says others arent true christians ... my parents are split up by the way. my mom doesnt make me go but the thing that makes me want to tell them is the my school (public not catholic) and at the public school they keep doing bible studies and cry outs so i wanted to see what they would say if i asked to do an athiest thing to discuss different ideasTongue
(January 25, 2012 at 2:26 am)Vaeolet Lilly Blossom Wrote:

This. Even if you're not as weird as I am, and end up being the most boring normal redneck in hicktown: telling your parents anything (esp. if they are conservative) that they don't expect will cause drama.

And drama is bad. Unless you are a llama. Wearing a hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-vsynsE8RQ

that video is hilarious xD

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3271 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hey :) Kate12345 10 1840 October 19, 2022 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Hey everyone Ryn 3 614 July 4, 2022 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Hey up, you lot. RozzerusUnrelentus 21 2350 January 4, 2021 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger