Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can bible really be interpreted as if there is no torment but you cease to exist
Can bible really be interpreted as if there is no torment but you cease to exist
Peace. You know how Jehovas witnesses and a few others(can someone who knows post who are the others) believe that the interpretation of eternal torment and the eternal fire means that you burn up and there fore you cease to exist.

I kind of believe that that's what God would do as a punishment and it makes sense. I mean He doesnt have to torment someone for eternity.

Now, my question To those who believe in hell same as Jehovah's Witnesses that is that you cease to exist, how does eternally tormented mean cessation of existence?

And to those who believe in eternal torment: Why would God do something like that?

Also, are Jehovah's witnesses honest with them selves in their interpretation? I suppose they really believe in it because they would not refuse blood transfusion that can otherwise save their lives at times if they where not sinciere!

Thoughts

Thanks
RE: Can bible really be interpreted as if there is no torment but you cease to exist
(February 2, 2012 at 10:03 am)Pel Wrote: And to those who believe in eternal torment: Why would God do something like that?

He is an asshole, that is why.
Cunt
RE: Can bible really be interpreted as if there is no torment but you cease to exist
(February 2, 2012 at 10:03 am)Pel Wrote: Peace. You know how Jehovas witnesses and a few others(can someone who knows post who are the others) believe that the interpretation of eternal torment and the eternal fire means that you burn up and there fore you cease to exist.

I kind of believe that that's what God would do as a punishment and it makes sense. I mean He doesnt have to torment someone for eternity.

Now, my question To those who believe in hell same as Jehovah's Witnesses that is that you cease to exist, how does eternally tormented mean cessation of existence?

And to those who believe in eternal torment: Why would God do something like that?

Also, are Jehovah's witnesses honest with them selves in their interpretation? I suppose they really believe in it because they would not refuse blood transfusion that can otherwise save their lives at times if they where not sinciere!

Thoughts

Thanks

Stop believing insanity and then rack your thus injured brain further trying to make it seem less insane.

Hell is just a made up place to scare the weak minded. No reason to think it exists. Also an all knowing god and hell doesn't add up. All it does is demonstrate that god is evil, a complete idiot and extremely incompetent.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Fine.

now give me clear evidence that this "god" of yours will keep his word, and is not merely lying to us in the bible just to get his rocks off.

Ever played a video game wrong on purpose? Like not killing the zombies but instead killing the people you are supposed to save? Yeah. Prove to me that you God isnt doing that with us right now.

He is all powerful, he can damn well do as he pleases, including lie and murder for pleasure. Who does he have to answer to? You? Me? A higher power?

Yeah, I thought so.

A god that "burns up" the non believers should not be trusted with promises.

If I told you i was a man of love, yet you knew I had a torture chamber in the basement of my home that I would use time to time on people who did not love me back....what would you think of me?
Quote:I mean He doesnt have to torment someone for eternity.

A 'god' wouldn't....but the primitive men who invented that shit would. That is all part of being primitive.
It can be interpreted to suit whatever needs or desires the believer has. And?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 2, 2012 at 10:03 am)Pel Wrote: Peace. You know how Jehovas witnesses and a few others(can someone who knows post who are the others) believe that the interpretation of eternal torment and the eternal fire means that you burn up and there fore you cease to exist.

Thoughts

Thanks

It's kind of a rigged system, isn't it? I mean, he creates man, knows all, but makes man inperfect, knows he will sin and when, but then punishes him when he does? If god is omnipotent, whjy wouldn't he rid the world of all the suffering. Seems to me that such a god is more of a sadist than anything.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
OK let's talk about this Christian/JW mythology for a second. Why would there ever need to be eternal hellfire for a finite number of souls which will be burned up? After the world ends and there's no more evil souls being cast into hell, why would the fire need to keep burning? No, I'm pretty sure the idea of eternal hellfire goes along with the idea of eternal punishment/damnation.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
We're talking about the same god that turned Lot's wife into a pillar of salt for looking backwards, right?

I don't think you can justify any of his pointless actions. Even Jesus killing the tree for producing fruit out-of-season, what point did it serve?

It's all just fairy tales from the old world, if you ask me.
"I get angry when believers say that the entire unimaginable hugeness of the universe was made entirely for the human race, and atheists by contrast say that humanity is this infinitesmal eyeblink in the vastness of time and space, and then religious believers accuse atheists of being arrogant."
-Greta Christina, Skepticon IV 2011

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38698 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44143 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2158 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] What God's justification for eternal torment? SuicideCommando01 279 16831 December 18, 2020 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89521 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4626 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Is priestly pedophilia really a sacrament ? How we can find out . . . vorlon13 12 1818 August 28, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12411 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20266 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Hell and God cant Co-exist. Socratic Meth Head 440 45879 June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: madog