Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Latest astrophoto attempt at Messier 42
My Latest astrophoto attempt at Messier 42
I was finally able to get around to working on all the images I took on the 12th of the great nebula in Orion. The following image is a composite of images taken at intervals of 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, and 2 minutes for a total exposure time of 50 minutes. The reason for the different exposure times is that the core of the nebula is exceedingly bright and tends to get washed out in long exposures, while the faint, wispy reflection nebulosity and the deep colors of the emission nebulosity require longer exposures. By combining and processing the exposures in a complex procedure, I managed to preserve most of the detail of the core (including the trapezium stars) while bringing out a lot of faint details in the extended portion of the nebula. It isn't perfect (the seeing was also poor but you take what you can get), but it is my best effort with this object to date:

[Image: Messier42_02_12_2011b.jpg]

Messier 42, in Orion

Taken at the Louisville Astronomical Society Observatory on 02/12/2012
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: My Latest astrophoto attempt at Messier 42
Totally bitchin', babe.
Cunt
Beautiful. Great work!
“You don't get to advertise all the good that your religion does without first scrupulously subtracting all the harm it does and considering seriously the question of whether some other religion, or no religion at all, does better. ”
― Daniel C. Dennett
Thanks, folks. By the way, I reworked it a bit, rotated it into the same position as the famous Hubble image, and cropped it. Enjoy:

[Image: Messier42_02_12_2011g.jpg]

Messier 42, In Orion
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Awesome!
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Fascinating and beautiful! I am enchanted by the vision. THX
You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

Buddha FSM Grin

Nice work. M42, while being one of the brightest and largest deep-sky objects, also happens to be quite challenging to image. Your results are quite impressive. I never developed the patience or skill to do quality astrophotography, but enjoy it vicariously through others.
Any object that has a high brightness range is difficult to image. The results are almost always a compromise. I am convinced that I can get a better result, but it might take a while before I post it. Stay tuned.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Final one, I promise.
Okay, folks, I promise, this is the final one for this object. I redid all the data and came out with a much better result. Not how much more pin point the stars are, and that they have actually more accurate star colors. Unfortunately, I am not all that thrilled with the other colors. But overall, it is a huge improvement over the previous one. Enjoy:

[Image: M42_composite_cropped.jpg]

Messier 42, in Orion

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Messier 45, in Taurus orogenicman 7 1326 March 31, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Messier 20, the Trifid Nebula orogenicman 4 1285 February 15, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Messier 33, The Triangulum Galaxy orogenicman 0 716 April 26, 2014 at 11:08 pm
  Messier 33, in Triangulum orogenicman 8 2727 September 25, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Messier 20, The Trifid Nebula, In Sagittarius orogenicman 6 2671 June 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Messier 3, Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici orogenicman 12 3608 April 17, 2013 at 1:14 am
  Messier 13, Globular Cluster in Hercules orogenicman 0 1279 April 14, 2013 at 2:11 am
  Remix of Messier 8 Core, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 2 1433 March 13, 2013 at 11:01 am
  Messier 33, The Pinwheel Galaxy, in Triangulum orogenicman 2 1860 December 9, 2012 at 11:44 am
  Messier 8, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 3 2312 December 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Annik