Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Line Refutations
One Line Refutations
I'm sure we've all done it. Seen a quote, or a line, which is beautiful in its simplicity and economy of language to annhilate a line of reasoning, and I'd like to hear the lines which have stuck in your mind.

"Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it."

"The plural of anecdote, is not data."

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

"Proselytism would be redundant if the inner witness to the holy spirit was really as powerful as some believers credit it. Proselytism would just taint the evidence as the testimony would be indistinguishable from cultural transmission."

I hope I'm not the only one whose world view was changed by a single line. What single line philosophy permeates your mind in everything you do.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
RE: One Line Refutations
"I am the queen of battle"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
On chip equals three bisquits.
"Why we still got monkeys?"

Yeah, not exactly what you were looking for. Big Grin
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true - Carl Sagan
Go Blow Jesus Out Your Ass.
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"

"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can fuck off"
Oh yeah ..... FUCK YOU!!!!!
"Extraordinary events need not require extraordinary evidence to have happened."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2763 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2358 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding LivingNumbers6.626 6 3402 July 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Where's the line between atheist and oppressor? Knowledge of God 103 13491 June 28, 2014 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  One final attempt to get one over on you. Whateverist 25 6181 March 1, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Walking the a/theist line with family & friends atheistmama 9 3832 December 5, 2013 at 10:09 am
Last Post: zenblaster
  I would like to speak one on one with an informed atheist. Arbitraryusername 16 4587 November 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  I need help with refutations for this MrJatt 57 18367 April 25, 2011 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Minimalist