Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Where's the line between atheist and oppressor?
Where's the line between atheist and oppressor?
Where's the line between rejecting the reality of God and accepting people who do accept said reality.

I've got the impression atheists not only reject the reality of God, they are busy with oppressing those who do believe too.

We all know Jesus said to pray for those who do bad to you.
RE: Where's the line between atheist and oppressor?
[Image: 694.png]

No such thing as a 'reality of god' until you prove it to be so.

I also vehemently reject your claim that 'atheists' are seeking to to oppress people who do believe in a god and I demand evidence (Mao? Stalin? I presume these will be the bedrocks of your claims, and if so,more pare to have them debunked). Seems to me as though you've let your emotions get the better of your reasoned thought, a common trait amongst your kind, it would seem.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(June 26, 2014 at 7:04 am)Knowledge of God Wrote: Where's the line between rejecting the reality of God and accepting people who do accept said reality.

I've got the impression atheists not only reject the reality of God, they are busy with oppressing those who do believe too.

'Don't you oppress me ...'

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(June 26, 2014 at 7:04 am)Knowledge of God Wrote: Where's the line between rejecting the reality of God and accepting people who do accept said reality.

Not even a relevant question. Like a lot of theists, you seem to be mistaking having someone disagree with you, for being oppressed. Most of us here have theist family, theist friends and so on, and we manage quite happily with those. The fact that we disagree on this one single issue doesn't alter these relationships at all, which should be plenty to demonstrate that, if there is such a line, we aren't anywhere near crossing it.

Quote:I've got the impression atheists not only reject the reality of God, they are busy with oppressing those who do believe too.

Do you understand what a fatuous ninny you sound when you say things like this? There's a couple of threads here about a man who's been institutionalized in a mental home against his will simply because he's an atheist; that's actual oppression. Hell, if you're so completely lacking in empathy that only those on your side register as real people, there are places on the earth where being a christian will get you killed, and that's real oppression too. When you sit here and whine about having to share space with people who don't agree with everything you say out of hand, I'm sorry, but that's not oppression, and it makes you sound like a fucking toddler!

How offensive, to the real, genuine people who actually suffer oppression for their beliefs! How completely dishonest of you, to try and silence those who dissent against you by labeling their completely reasonable free speech as "oppression"! How utterly vacuous, to say such a thing without any evidence or thought!

What on earth were you thinking? Angry

Quote:We all know Jesus said to pray for those who do bad to you.

Yeah, and he also said to do it in private. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I accept that people believe in God. I am happy to tell them that I disagree (although in real life this never really comes up). Some Christians think this is oppression, which just shows how little they have to back up their beliefs.

I also think that the way Christians have come to the conclusion that a God exists is faulty, and that if that same thinking was applied elsewhere we'd still be in the dark ages. It is this lack of rationality that affects my life that I despise, and it doesn't just apply to Christians, but conspiracy theorists, Climate change denialists, anti vaxers etc. Moderate secular-like Christians that are the majority of Christians in the UK I have little problem with, as they don't use their religious thinking outside of thinking about a God. For example, they're going to call an ambulance if I get hit by a bus, rather than pray for me.

I don't know Jesus said that, and don't really care.
Pretty sure he's a troll
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Well fuck you too.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Likewise, where's the line between believing in God and keeping those superstitions private when acting towards others who don't live in that comic-book mental construct, and shouldn't feel obliged to? I get the impression that Christians want to force their subjective fears and insecurities on others, most despicably, on children. That's where I draw the line. They don't get to do that and not get called out on it.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Shit and run. Typical theist. I beseech people not to bother responding to this exceptional individual.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Well at least one thing is certain ...
He's rejecting the reality of intelligence...

Another Oxygen stealer.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1927 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4066 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 6983 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The flame between two darknesses: A celebration of reality FebruaryOfReason 10 4618 March 23, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  correlation between intelligence and atheism Sappho 22 4042 December 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Vincent
  The transition between faith to no faith. Mystic 25 6681 October 14, 2014 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Parallel Between Theism and Naturalism? Mudhammam 7 2809 October 2, 2014 at 7:16 am
Last Post: Chas
  Stuck between a rock and a hard place JohnNelson98 21 3947 July 26, 2014 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: JohnNelson98
  Is there a correlation between atheism and intelligence? Dystopia 40 6401 July 4, 2014 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Walking the a/theist line with family & friends atheistmama 9 3827 December 5, 2013 at 10:09 am
Last Post: zenblaster