Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agressive Atheism
Agressive Atheism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...jO4duhMRZk

I know it's old, and most have you have probably already seen it, but take another look. It's even more relevant in 2012 than it was in 2009.

RE: Agressive Atheism
There is many positive things religions do for people. It's true people could do that without religion, but religion motivates them in positive ways. I disagree with that all it's done is negative things like violence, etc..

I also don't see the point of being intolerant towards religion, just because we should be intolerant towards other evils. I think we should be tolerant of religious people and understand them.

I honestly see more evil done by "nationalism" then religion, but, I don't see people condemning nationalism in an aggressive way.

Bravo, Pat! Tell it like it is.

Jerusalem = "celestial piss hole in the desert!"
(March 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: There is many positive things religions do for people. It's true people could do that without religion, but religion motivates them in positive ways. I disagree with that all it's done is negative things like violence, etc..

Name one major change religion has made in the world that you would consider positive.

Quote:I also don't see the point of being intolerant towards religion, just because we should be intolerant towards other evils. I think we should be tolerant of religious people and understand them.

It's not the intolerance of religion itself, but the intolerance of the undeniably vile religious doctrines that cause things like misogyny and homophobia. Things of which everyone should be intolerant. Things that wouldn't exist if not for religion.

How does one come to "understand" that someone is ignorant and doesn't even want to change or understand? Sorry, dude. I understand that they're assholes.

Quote:I honestly see more evil done by "nationalism" then religion, but, I don't see people condemning nationalism in an aggressive way.

Uh. I thought nationalism and religion were kinda mutually exclusive. Maybe I'm wrong?

(March 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I honestly see more evil done by "nationalism" then religion, but, I don't see people condemning nationalism in an aggressive way.

Just follow me and Rev into a Mehmet thread or Mehmet thread derail.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(March 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I honestly see more evil done by "nationalism" then religion, but, I don't see people condemning nationalism in an aggressive way.

Just follow me and Rev into a Mehmet thread or Mehmet thread derail.

I was about to reply to the same post.
Quote:It's not the intolerance of religion itself, but the intolerance of the undeniably vile religious doctrines that cause things like misogyny and homophobia. Things of which everyone should be intolerant. Things that wouldn't exist if not for religion.

How does one come to "understand" that someone is ignorant and doesn't even want to change or understand? Sorry, dude. I understand that they're assholes.
Well, you people tell me that morality and the good things that Link told about would still exist without religion. I'm fairly certain that those things you talked about, too, would exist without religion.

Quote:Name one major change religion has made in the world that you would consider positive.
Religions had massive impacts on world history. The world wouldn't be the way it is now if not for certain roles that religion played in this game.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(March 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: There is many positive things religions do for people. It's true people could do that without religion, but religion motivates them in positive ways. I disagree with that all it's done is negative things like violence, etc..

I also don't see the point of being intolerant towards religion, just because we should be intolerant towards other evils. I think we should be tolerant of religious people and understand them.

I honestly see more evil done by "nationalism" then religion, but, I don't see people condemning nationalism in an aggressive way.

You havent met Antifa yet.
(March 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote:
Quote:It's not the intolerance of religion itself, but the intolerance of the undeniably vile religious doctrines that cause things like misogyny and homophobia. Things of which everyone should be intolerant. Things that wouldn't exist if not for religion.

Well, you people tell me that morality and the good things that Link told about would still exist without religion. I'm fairly certain that those things you talked about, too, would exist without religion.

Yes, mehmet. There would still be insecure, fearful people in the world, but religion is the root of most sensationalized fear, wouldn't you say?

(March 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Name one major change religion has made in the world that you would consider positive.

Sure, the sacrifice of Imam Hussain (3rd Shiite Imam) has inspired the notion in Shiite Muslims that we should be willing to sacrifice ourselves for establishing justice and for going against oppressors and oppression. Every year they commemorate the sacrifice of Imam Hussain, his family, and his companions, and it inspires the feeling that we should be ready to die for what is right. The notion every year is emphasized that shouldn't let fear of death stop us from opposing oppressors and standing up against them.

The following is a letter from Imam Ali in Nahjul Balagha:

Letter 47
I advise you to fear Allah, do not go after this vicious world though it may try to entice you, do not seek it though it may seek you and do not grieve over and pine for things which this world refuses you. Let the eternal Reward and Blessings of Allah be the prompting factors for all that you say and do. Be an enemy of tyrants and oppressors and be a friend and helper of those who are oppressed and tyrannized.

This is one good teaching, that has inspired millions of people.

(March 1, 2012 at 8:50 pm)aleialoura Wrote:
(March 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote:

Yes, mehmet. There would still be insecure, fearful people in the world, but religion is the root of most sensationalized fear, wouldn't you say?
What kind of a fear do you talk about?

(March 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(March 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm)aleialoura Wrote: Name one major change religion has made in the world that you would consider positive.

Sure, the sacrifice of Imam Hussain (3rd Shiite Imam) has inspired the notion in Shiite Muslims that we should be willing to sacrifice ourselves for establishing justice and for going against oppressors and oppression. Every year they commemorate the sacrifice of Imam Hussain, his family, and his companions, and it inspires the feeling that we should be ready to die for what is right. The notion every year is emphasized that shouldn't let fear of death stop us from opposing oppressors and standing up against them.

The following is a letter from Imam Ali in Nahjul Balagha:

Letter 47
I advise you to fear Allah, do not go after this vicious world though it may try to entice you, do not seek it though it may seek you and do not grieve over and pine for things which this world refuses you. Let the eternal Reward and Blessings of Allah be the prompting factors for all that you say and do. Be an enemy of tyrants and oppressors and be a friend and helper of those who are oppressed and tyrannized.

This is one good teaching, that has inspired millions of people.
Well, I want to go into the historical impact of the shia teachings, but that would derail the thread.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27107 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12141 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Agressive? jackkazim 57 14626 February 14, 2013 at 4:28 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38078 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack