Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on Adverts
Update on Adverts
As some of you will know, we are looking into setting up some kind of adverts on the site, in order to bring in the extra revenue needed to fund my lavish lifestyle our new server.

I've currently signed us up for "Text-Link-Ads", which give us a large degree of control over the adverts. They would be single links, on the home page only (probably above the shoutbox), and we would make an estimated $30 a month from each one. The only downside is that we have to wait for people to actively buy a link.

If anyone knows any other advertising methods, please let me know and I'll investigate them further.
RE: Update on Adverts
I've noticed on other forums that the ads will only appear to non forum members.

And once you join the forum the ads disappear.

This could work......
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Oh cmon, the minor inconveneince of closing a few ad tabs is a small price to pay for this forum. Hell, Tibbers, if you wanted to plaster the walls of this place with ads, and it kept the gears greased, I'm all for it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I was thinking more of a subscription based system. $20 a year will get you a premium account, with no adverts, and possibly other perks.
Reasonable. If you don't want to suffer the ads that support the site you can support the site directly. Servers don't run on good intentions..hehehe.

(attach it to the pron and watch the subs tumble over themselves...lol)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 2, 2012 at 6:35 am)Zen Badger Wrote: I've noticed on other forums that the ads will only appear to non forum members.

And once you join the forum the ads disappear.

This could work......

Personally, I like the idea of donators not seeing ads a bit better.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(March 2, 2012 at 10:27 am)Rhythm Wrote: Oh cmon, the minor inconveneince of closing a few ad tabs is a small price to pay for this forum. Hell, Tibbers, if you wanted to plaster the walls of this place with ads, and it kept the gears greased, I'm all for it.

Yeah...just no xtian fucking dating services, huh? We get enough of those jackasses as it is.
[Spam removed]
What if we were to serve one (1) image ad, and surround that box with a thumbs up, thumbs down symbol?

If the server detects a bunch of thumbs down, either the regulars really hate it or they're just fucking with us.

Either way, it should cause a request for a new advertisement.

No flash should ever be allowed. I work in flash land -- I can tell you that injecting evil javascript anonymously takes only:
ExternalInterface.call( $javascriptToEval );
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PSA: Update to necroposting rule arewethereyet 51 6530 April 3, 2023 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  A Quick Update Tiberius 4 1844 January 22, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Privacy Policy Update Tiberius 1 916 October 8, 2017 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Area 69 Rules Update Cyberman 34 5823 July 27, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Trolling rule update Jackalope 110 18321 February 19, 2017 at 3:39 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Update to the "Quoting Others Inaccurately" rule. Tiberius 25 5722 November 27, 2016 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  New Administrator / Moderator Notices + Rules Update Tiberius 38 6814 July 15, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Forum Migration Update Tiberius 174 25439 May 12, 2015 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Announcement: Rules update Jackalope 1 1821 August 17, 2014 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Mystical
  An Update of the Rules Rayaan 8 4494 August 24, 2013 at 5:33 am
Last Post: Kayenneh