Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 10:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13 Things the Bible Condems
13 Things the Bible Condems
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/07..._ref=false

Found this article interesting because my family is always condeming me for being an atheist, like that single fact makes me a bad person who is going to hell. Now I wont say I'm not guilty of a few of these but the point is they are guilty of more but fail to see that. The whole pick and chose attitude with the Bible really takes away from the Christian credibilty when they try to argue with you
RE: 13 Things the Bible Condems
Let's see...

1. No Tattoos
2. Yes I get haircuts...and I don't have a beard anymore.
3. No dick injuries...other than that circumcision shit. Besides, I stay out of fucking churches.
4. No on the psychics.
5. No on the gossiping...other than about asswipe fundies and I tell them to their face.
6. No, wife's not a fighter.
7. Yes. I love fucking ham, bacon and pork. Damn jews don't know what their missing.
8. No. My parents are dead.
9. No, not divorced or remarried
10. No. I don't work at all....especially on Sunday.
11. No. If a broad talked in a house of god how would I know? (See#3)
12. Yes I love shrimp and lobster.
13. Yes Tough shit about the virginity crap.

4 out of 13. I'm probably a better xtian than most of the assholes.
Tattoos: Guilty
Hair cuts: Guilty
No dick injury....
Psychics: Never been to one. But a tarot deck can be fun after a few beers.
Never bought a gossip mag in my life, but please do define gossip.
I'm not married.
Ham Sandwich: Guilty
Cursing parents: I donno, don't remember.
Never been married so never been divorced
I don't have a job, so I can't work on Sunday.
Never been to church, so how would I know
Seafood: Guilty
Virginity: Question not valid.

4 (or 6) of 13
From a Jewish point of view, those laws only apply to those who are Jewish. Gentiles in order to be counted as righteous only need to follow the rules outlined in the Noahic Covenant which is in Genesis 8:20-9:17.

Although Gentiles were not allowed into the inner preicents of the temple of Yahweh due to being ceremoninally unclean. Since the temple of Yahweh does not exist anymore, that is kind of a moot point.

Quote:Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and took some of every clean animal and some of every clean bird and offered burnt offerings on the altar. And when the Lord smelled the pleasing aroma, the Lord said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done. While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.”

And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything. But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. And for your lifeblood I will require a reckoning: from every beast I will require it and from man. From his fellow man I will require a reckoning for the life of man.

“Whoever sheds the blood of man,
by man shall his blood be shed,
for God made man in his own image.

And you, be fruitful and multiply, increase greatly on the earth and multiply in it.”

Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, “Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth. I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth.” And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” God said to Noah, “This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.”

Genesis 8:20-9:17 (ESV)
undefined
[Image: ICZnd.png]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
As a former Roman Catholic I'll give you my POV.

1. Tatoo

I've heard this one before. Anything that 'damages' your natural body is a sin. I'm not sure if that applies to those who write, 'Love Mom' for example, or if it more applies to those who seek to intimidate through gang symbols, for example. Earrings would be another example, if you wear lavish gold or diamond jewelry as a way to show off what you have compared to others it could be considered a sin.

2. Rounded Haircuts

I've heard that not maintaining your appearances is sinful so I can't speak to this one.

3. Men With Injured Or Cut Off Private Parts Entering Houses Of God.

Lol! Well this never came up in Sunday school so I can't speak to that.

4. Consulting Psychics

I was taught that you go through life and what happens, happens, that you should trust yourself and others but more importantly god :\ Also, most Psychics are probably out for a quick buck.

5. Gossiping

How often has that turned out well for anyone? I don't do it out of respect for others. Common sense.

6. Wives Helping Out Their Husbands In A Fight

Why are you getting into fights in the first place? This one seems situational and a bad example.. If your mad that someone cut in line and you starts throwing punches then yes, i can see how it would be wrong for your wife to get involved. However, if some person tries to steal you wallet and you try to fight them off I suppose it would be fine to get your wife involved.

7. Eating A Ham Sandwich

We didn't eat meat on Fridays during lent, that's the only restriction to meat I've ever known. That and I plan don't like pig anyway.

8. Children Cursing Their Parents

Common sense respect? Name calling really doesn't have a place in the world. I however do enjoy the occasional word 'enhancer,' as long as it isn't directed at someone.

9. Getting Remarried After Getting Divorced

This is another one open to interpretation. If you are the one cheating or abusing your spouse and they leave you, no, you aren't allowed to remarry. If both parties mutually agree the marriage isn't working and their are children involved that are at risk because of your toxic relationship AND you consult a priest I believe it is okay to divorce and remarry.

10. Working On The Sabbath

This is an old one that I don't think is commonly recognized as true. Way back when if you worked 5am-8pm on your farm or herding goats Sunday was meant for you to relax and take time for yourself and reflect and pray.

11. Women Speaking In Houses Of God

Another old one that isn't recognized anymore. I can't speak more to that. However, Some churches have women pastors. Roman Catholics don't. Most churches have women groups that are involved in various aspects of the 'church going experience,' readings and so forth.

12. Eating Shrimp, Lobster, And Other Assorted Seafood

Just like ham I think this applies more to some of the Jewish faith, I've never heard a lot about this in Catholicism. I don't like seafood, period.

13. Losing Your Virginity Before You Get Married

I can't argue this one at all. It is an absolute sin as far as I know. However it seems 90% of Christians take part in it. It may have to do more with not going to a bar, getting drunk, and picking up a loose women and spreading disease. If you truly love the person you are with and you feel you need to express yourself in a physical way there isn't anything wrong with it as long as you are willing to accept the responsibility of a child or disease. I think confession would be required before you die though.
(March 12, 2012 at 2:53 pm)mazeroni Wrote: As a former Roman Catholic I'll give you my POV.

However, if some person tries to steal you wallet and you try to fight them off I suppose it would be fine to get your wife involved.

I however do enjoy the occasional word 'enhancer,' as long as it isn't directed at someone.

If both parties mutually agree the marriage isn't working and their are children involved that are at risk because of your toxic relationship AND you consult a priest I believe it is okay to divorce and remarry.

This is an old one that I don't think is commonly recognized as true.

Another old one that isn't recognized anymore.

Just like ham I think this applies more to some of the Jewish faith

If you truly love the person you are with and you feel you need to express yourself in a physical way there isn't anything wrong with it as long as you are willing to accept the responsibility of a child or disease. I think confession would be required before you die though.

So Catholics can make their own rules about the bible?
Sounds like the pick and choose concept.
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
They are ALL old ones Mazeroni.

Isn't saying "This is an old one that I don't think is commonly recognized as true. " or "Another old one that isn't recognized anymore. " the same as saying the bible isn't commonly recognized as true anymore ?

Regards

Grimesy

Oh, and Loading Please Wait - I fell for your logo and title - TWICE - grrrrr .....

Regards

Grimesy
(March 12, 2012 at 7:51 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote:
(March 12, 2012 at 2:53 pm)mazeroni Wrote: As a former Roman Catholic I'll give you my POV.

However, if some person tries to steal you wallet and you try to fight them off I suppose it would be fine to get your wife involved.

I however do enjoy the occasional word 'enhancer,' as long as it isn't directed at someone.

If both parties mutually agree the marriage isn't working and their are children involved that are at risk because of your toxic relationship AND you consult a priest I believe it is okay to divorce and remarry.

This is an old one that I don't think is commonly recognized as true.

Another old one that isn't recognized anymore.

Just like ham I think this applies more to some of the Jewish faith

If you truly love the person you are with and you feel you need to express yourself in a physical way there isn't anything wrong with it as long as you are willing to accept the responsibility of a child or disease. I think confession would be required before you die though.

So Catholics can make their own rules about the bible?
Sounds like the pick and choose concept.

That is how all religions work, interpretation. During and after Jesus lived stories were written based on his teachings. Did people follow him around with pen and paper? No. A lot of the stories were filled in later, likely the more 'ridiculous' ones like the creation story, curing a blind man, or the ARK. However, there is a lot of insight to be gained from those stories if you don't take them literally. IF you want to get into those stories in context I would love to have that discussion. Next, different groups formed different religions based off of those stories. They then picked and chose each story and reformatted to fit the specific needs of their people. You can't say the Bible has set answers, they are stories meant to guide and educate. How far you want to read into each passage and come to a specific conclusion is up to you. Do you believe non-believers need to die then have at it. Do you think all people deserve a good life well there you go. Should I eat pig? Yes? No?

So, in regards to Catholics changing their rules as they see it fit, sure, the Pope says something along the lines of, "I have prayed and was answered, no longer is [___], instead we will not [___]." That's how it works and guess what, Catholics make up a huge % of the worlds population. If you were the Pope would you do it differently? No, you wouldn't because it is your job to grow the faith.

Quote:They are ALL old ones Mazeroni.

Isn't saying "This is an old one that I don't think is commonly recognized as true. " or "Another old one that isn't recognized anymore. " the same as saying the bible isn't commonly recognized as true anymore ?

Regards

Grimesy

What isn't true; Being a good person, not murdering people, not cheating on your spouse, don't sit around the house gorging on food or wasting your life on drugs, living you life to the fullest, face challenges head on? I think you and the website that list came struggle with the idea that the Bible =/= religion. Jesus and/or 'god' never said organize and make rules for yourselves, man did that. The Bible says to live by the teaching within through reflection. Religion says do this, believe that, and give me that cash monies!!!
Quote:During and after Jesus lived

Just another story in and of itself.