Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeopathy
Homeopathy
WTF, I was just watching TBS and saw a commercial for a homeopathic nasal spray. What the hell is TBS thinking?

For all you unAmericans...I mean non-Americans...TBS is the Turner Broadcast System which is a cable TV channel.
RE: Homeopathy
The only "Nasal Spray" worthy of a mention is a 10% Saline spray for sinus problems.... other than that I have no idea Dunno
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 10, 2012 at 8:18 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: The only "Nasal Spray" worthy of a mention is a 10% Saline spray for sinus problems.... other than that I have no idea Dunno

You sure about that percentage? Normal saline is 0.9% and that is isotonic. 10% is extremely hypertonic.
(March 10, 2012 at 8:31 am)Phil Wrote:
(March 10, 2012 at 8:18 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: The only "Nasal Spray" worthy of a mention is a 10% Saline spray for sinus problems.... other than that I have no idea Dunno

You sure about that percentage? Normal saline is 0.9% and that is isotonic. 10% is extremely hypertonic.

Yep... Why I have no fucking idea... Dunno

The higher percentage seems to effect a better result in clearing the mucosal build up...this could be a personal thing though. Just like a 10% Apple Cider Vinegar Douche is great for minimising fungal infections of the vagina. Dunno again long term experience indicates it works and that is all I am concerned about.

0.9% you say?? Any wonder those OTC preparations are ineffective.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 10, 2012 at 8:37 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:
(March 10, 2012 at 8:31 am)Phil Wrote:

Yep... Why I have no fucking idea... Dunno

The higher percentage seems to effect a better result in clearing the mucosal build up...this could be a personal thing though. Just like a 10% Apple Cider Vinegar Douche is great for minimising fungal infections of the vagina. Dunno again long term experience indicates it works and that is all I am concerned about.

0.9% you say?? Any wonder those OTC preparations are ineffective.

0.9% has nothing to do with OTC. 0.9% as I said is isotonic. IOW, it has the same tonicity as human blood so it neither forces water in or out through the cell membranes. Hypertonicity as in a 10% solution will draw water out of the blood cells and hypotonicity forces water inside. Both hyper and hypo are dangerous especially at a 10% tonicity.
"Long term experience" shows us that garlic prevents aids, and chases off vampires. If it works there is a mechanism by which it works, that can be demonstrated. This mechanism will then likely have associated risk to go along with it's benefits, and these two are weighed together. After these two things are done a determination is made as to whether or not "it works" from the perspective of practical, effective, or safe use.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 10, 2012 at 10:25 am)Rhythm Wrote: "Long term experience" shows us that garlic prevents aids, and chases off vampires. If it works there is a mechanism by which it works, that can be demonstrated. This mechanism will then likely have associated risk to go along with it's benefits, and these two are weighed together. After these two things are done a determination is made as to whether or not "it works" from the perspective of practical, effective, or safe use.

Safe? Being the cruel child I was way back in the 60s I used to put about a half teaspoon of salt on snails. Ever see what that does? That would be considered hypertonic.

edit: Had no idea there were so many videos online.

Hehehe, I still do that, after trapping them in beer cans. They just can't help themselves around the sauce (or my garden).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Long story short, there's a reason that you might not want to shoot a 10% solution of salt up your nose when a fraction of a % would work (and this only applies when the product can be shown to work in the first place, which, for homeopathy, would be never).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeopathy effective for 0 out of 68 illnesses zebo-the-fat 15 2248 February 22, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Living in Death
  Homeopathy : Some Reference Needed swami-sam-ananda 18 4890 January 14, 2013 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Homeopathy is GARBAGE. Creed of Heresy 35 10438 April 18, 2012 at 4:54 am
Last Post: Tiberius