Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you become an atheist?
How did you become an atheist?
For those who used to be believers and switched, how did you become an atheist?
RE: How did you become an atheist?
By realising it's all complete and utter bollocks.
I think I was around the age of 11 when I realised Christianity made no sense with what was actually observed in reality.
-must have happened in the womb-
(Smile)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm)tobie Wrote: By realising it's all complete and utter bollocks.

How did you come to that realisation?
I grew up in a Methodist/UCC church and was confirmed as a member at 12. It was mostly a community organization and generally moderate. Some members were very evangelical but not offensively so. Occationally, some para-ministry would lecture our youth group on the evils of rock music and role-playing games. As teenagers we pretty much laughed at that. We had a really cool youth group leader. The meetings started with a prayer and then we broke out the Avalon Hill war games.

When I started high school my civics teacher introduced me to Existentialism. At that age the idea of being fully responsible for my choices and the course of my life appealed to me. It was up to me to define myself and give life meaning. I read a lot of Nietzsche. Memorized some. I found Nietzsche inspirational. I wanted to overcome the beliefs that limited me and rise above the conventions of society and the petty stupidity of High School. In short I had a lot of ambition.

All through most of college I had these parallel belief systems: the Christian and the Existentialist. That didn't really bother me all that much. I went to a lot of off-campus lectures all kinds of stuff from anarchy to objectivism...mostly out of curiousity.

All this time I was generally content with contemplation in the Here and Now. Existentialism forced me to confront the possibility that I would die a meaningless life. And surprisingly I was okay with that...I didn't feel the need to life forever. Although I majored in architecture I took every philosophy elective I could. My favorites were Ancient and Philosophy of Mind. They gave my mind lots more to ponder.

Having made peace with a short and limited life, I started to think about prayer. Did it matter much? In the end you're just praying for God's will to happen which I supposed would happen whether I prayed or not. Seemed pretty pointless. Since childhood, I loved science, so no problems there and since god was seemed like an extra and unnecessary concept I concluded after much reflection that I was for all intents and purposes an atheist.

Ultimately I embraced nihilism, because to me that was the only honest logical conclusion of a universe without god. It never really effected my life. I still did what I thought was right, good, and worthy. I continued as an atheist for about 15 years.

So even though I am a Christian now I can respect and understand people who choose not to be religious or believe in god.
And I understand and respect you. Give me a hug.
That begs an even more interesting question, at what point or event did you change your mind on the matter of god? Did Swedenborg draw you back in? Or was there a middleman?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 11, 2012 at 7:42 pm)Rhythm Wrote: That begs an even more interesting question, at what point or event did you change your mind on the matter of god? Did Swedenborg draw you back in? Or was there a middleman?

Maybe some other time. I don't want to distract from the topic. And I'm curious to see other responses.
http://atheistforums.org/thread-10890.ht...an+atheist

We actually have an entire subforum devoted to it, I hear it can be difficult.
http://atheistforums.org/forum-12.html

You're welcome. (We have so many of these exact threads it's unbelievable, search function will flood you with posts).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3264 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3305 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3270 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6197 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5034 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  What made you become an atheist? Handprint 170 46376 October 3, 2018 at 5:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1965 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92841 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  How did u become an atheist? Lebneni Murtad 52 10080 April 6, 2017 at 1:21 am
Last Post: surreptitious57
  Did anyone listen to atheist experience this week? Won2blv 12 4075 November 25, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical